RTL-SDR v3 VERY HOT and poor reception

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
matthyne

RTL-SDR v3 VERY HOT and poor reception

Post by matthyne » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:19 am

I have been playing with my RTL-SDR v3 for a couple of days now and I have noticed it gets VERY HOT - I mean it is currently at about 85 deg C after having been run for 30 mins.

I have also noticed that the RX performance is poor. I cannot RX signals that my scanner easily picks up - even on my external antenna (wideband 2M-70cm). I can RX FM radio but that is about it.

Is there something I am doing wrong ?

M

Username

Re: RTL-SDR v3 VERY HOT and poor reception

Post by Username » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 am

its maybe broken. Do you try some other?

aurgathor

Post by aurgathor » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:44 pm

They do get warm, but I don't know where is the point where they can be considered defective -- rtlsdrblog should answer that for you.

In general, RTL-SDRs are very sensitive wide open receivers, so any nearby radio source can desensitize them even if it is nowhere near the frequencies you are interested in. So you either want to use a bandpass filter if you are interested in a specific frequency, or at the very least use an FM band-stop filter to ensure that nearby FM sources do not effect operation on other frequencies.

RCND

Post by RCND » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:39 am

Hello:

My first one worked at first but over time it started cutting out in HF, but would still work in broadcast FM.

It finally gave up the ghost and now just gets very, very hot. They do run very warm but not enough to burn you.

rtlsdrblog replaced mine with no problems. Very good to work with and new one works perfectly.

Robert
Last edited by RCND on Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:40 am

matthyne wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:19 am
I have been playing with my RTL-SDR v3 for a couple of days now and I have noticed it gets VERY HOT - I mean it is currently at about 85 deg C after having been run for 30 mins.

I have also noticed that the RX performance is poor. I cannot RX signals that my scanner easily picks up - even on my external antenna (wideband 2M-70cm). I can RX FM radio but that is about it.

Is there something I am doing wrong ?

M
It may be defective, possibly bad silicon in one of the chips. It's rare, but it happens. Contact us with the details of your problem and your order ID at [email protected].

ZL2BMH

Post by ZL2BMH » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:42 am

I have had mine for something like 18 months and I've thrashed it. It's still running like new but as all have said it does get fairly warm, nothing to be worried about. I cannot help you, though I'd like to on your other question.

The service from this firm is second to none, I bought one recently as a back up. I didn't use the correct address and got caught by one of these greasy scammers, oh well, lesson learnt I'll never do that again. This time I went through the proper channels and again ordered my spare. It arrived very quickly unfortunately there was a fault. I took my time to make sure my complaint was 100% right by having it checked by people far more knowledgeable than me.

I advised the firm, no trouble he said, we will replace it straight away. And he did. Wonderful service, a wonderful product, personally I would never deal anywhere else. I am in no-way related, friends or have anything but business talks, and that's only one with this firm. Fabulous firm.

Jim.