Update rate not showing

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
stasia327

Re: Update rate not showing

Post by stasia327 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:44 pm

I have about the same supply going to the additional power port of the kerberos.
I believe I have a short, high quality cable.

What is a "short high quality cable" in your terms?

stasia327

Post by stasia327 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:24 pm

I have all 4 tuner tests working on my ubuntu VM. And I've found that the program hangs on this line:

Code: Select all

byte_array_read = sys.stdin.buffer.read(read_size)
inside of hydra_receiver.py

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:19 am

Do you mean that you have the same supply going to both the Pi3 and Kerberos, or two separate supplies?

It's hard to judge cable quality externally. We have found that some cheap USB cables just fall over once you get to the data rates required for 3+ tuners. Those cables that don't work are generally ones made for charging only, ones that came with cheap USB hardware, or are cheap cables from Aliexpress etc.

The program will hang on that line if it can't summon data from all the tuners, which would mean that one has failed to start and is not providing data.

stasia327

Post by stasia327 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:50 pm

They are two separate power supplies. One goes to the pi. I have a cable connecting the pi to the kerberos and the kerberos is also hooked up to a separate power supply.

However, I took out the separate power supply for the kerberos when I hook it up to my Ubuntu VM (realizing that I no longer needed it) and it no longer hangs on that one line and I do get data back it seems like; however, the gui still fails to update or show any update rate.

stasia327

Post by stasia327 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:48 pm

So I have found a bug that's been causing all my suffering in hydra_receiver.py

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/abourlas/kerberossdr/_signalProcessing/hydra_signal_processor.py", line 163, in run
    self.module_receiver.download_iq_samples()
  File "/home/abourlas/kerberossdr/_receiver/hydra_receiver.py", line 206, in download_iq_samples
    return iq_samples    
NameError: name 'iq_samples' is not defined

it should be

return self.iq_samples.
I noticed that this is commented out on the GitHub page; however, the version of software I have is straight from the newest image.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:09 am

stasia327 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:48 pm
So I have found a bug that's been causing all my suffering in hydra_receiver.py

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/abourlas/kerberossdr/_signalProcessing/hydra_signal_processor.py", line 163, in run
    self.module_receiver.download_iq_samples()
  File "/home/abourlas/kerberossdr/_receiver/hydra_receiver.py", line 206, in download_iq_samples
    return iq_samples    
NameError: name 'iq_samples' is not defined

it should be

return self.iq_samples.
I noticed that this is commented out on the GitHub page; however, the version of software I have is straight from the newest image.
Hmmm but that line is meant to be commented out, and it's commented out in the premade images. Are you sure you didn't accidentally uncomment it at some point?

Does the program work normally now ?

stasia327

Post by stasia327 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:48 am

I'm positive.

I actually followed the instructions for the Debian PC on my Ubuntu VM so I cloned the software straight from GitHub.
It's working now just fine.
I'm getting an update rate, my spectrum displays are up, it syncs the tuners, etc.

stasia327

Post by stasia327 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:53 pm

I did comment it again, out of curiosity, and it still works. So I'm not sure why both work. I'll just leave it commented out since that's how it supposed to be. Not sure what went wrong. I followed the instructions thoroughly.

stasia327

Post by stasia327 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Actually, I think one of the tuners is faulty...

After awhile it was working fine - now in my VM it's not recognizing the fourth one:

Found 3 device(s):
  0:  , , SN: 
  1:  , , SN: 
  2:  , , SN: