AirSpy Network + WXtoIMG

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
KRe

AirSpy Network + WXtoIMG

Post by KRe » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:39 pm

Hey! First post on this site.

I was recently looking at how I can get signals from the NOAA satellites in orbit. I have a NESDR Mini (the plastic case, ugly one) and a NESDR Smartee. I discovered just days ago that I can easily use them for listening to local p25 radio signals! I've had them for 2 years roughly without knowing about that:!: Anyway, I had some fun listening to all the local drama over the past few days - it's a good excuse to brush off the dust on those SDRs. I have a PC on the second floor of my building so I can't really place any antenna outside; the windowsill is my best spot. Even with the included telescopic antenna for my Smartee, I cannot seem to pick up any trace of any satellite's signal. It's pretty annoying, and I'm probably going to buy an official RTL-SDR Blog V3 dongle from the link on this website.

Now, I was on the Airspy website and I saw a very... interesting link: "Online SDR". I had noticed talk of SDRs with browser applications (as opposed to applications you install), so I assumed that was the meaning of the link. NOPE! I was very wrong. Turns out, Airspy has a global network of... uh... 94 SDRs. Around 1/3 of these are in use at any time. Instantly, I knew what I had to do: first, I grabbed a random sdr:// link from a green dot, and tested a few common FM frequencies. Sure enough, some Canadian was speaking french on ATC channels. Next, I went and found the current position of all 3 NOAA satellites. Then, I found an open station (with the correct freq range) and connected. And there it was! My first APT signal from a satellite! I quickly set up my rig to pipe SDR# audio into WXtoIMG, and I got a picture.

The point of this post: you don't actually need an SDR to use an SDR - and you certainly don't need a massive antenna to get signals from NOAA satellites, because someone else already has a big antenna.
Attachments
canada-07141439-hvct.jpg
canada-07141439-hvct.jpg (324.59 KiB) Viewed 543 times
07142144c.jpg
07142144c.jpg (569.2 KiB) Viewed 543 times

Username

Re: AirSpy Network + WXtoIMG

Post by Username » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:48 pm

Well depend on the Country listen and receive some Bands are highly illegal..

KRe

Post by KRe » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:14 am

I don't know specifically of any such country + band combination, do you have some in mind?

Anyway, these are US government satellites that transmit around 137MHz. Other nations also have weather satellites transmitting on similar frequencies. That would be hard to ban. Plus, how would they know if someone is receiving? These SDRs are 100% passive - they don't transmit.

Username

Post by Username » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:59 am

Middle Europe for example you are only permit to receive Amateur Radio, FM Radio and PMR446. Sure CB to.
Sat Stufff is illegal and violate the Copyright and many other rights and laws.

KRe

Post by KRe » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:16 am

Really? Definitely sounds like a European thing to me, very typical. Do you have a source I could look at for this?

Who owns the copyright on 20+ year-old satellites launched by the US government, when you're under European jurisdiction? That makes little sense to me.

Username

Post by Username » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Nope every Image, Data,... is copyright protected. If you upload here an Screenshot this is Copyright Protected to if you not give permission to use it. The OTHER think is illegal scanning. I am not a lawyer but you can search here: https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/defaultEn.aspx
There are some Laws like the Telecommunication Law who simple and easy say you are not permit to Record Voice without permission.
Trust me its simple and easy highly illegal here to receive ADSB Data. Share therem even more. When the Contain Military Fligts you get get busted for hight treasury. :lol: