re: just into a new (for me) apt

Show off any of your RTL-SDR or cheap SDR related projects.
reble

re: just into a new (for me) apt

Post by reble » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:44 am

I just moved into a new apt in the sticks of West Richland. I now have a fenced yard with a very, very tall oak tree in it. Also I can now put up outside ham antennas. The only restriction is no permanent mounts, like a tower set in concrete.

Anyways I am setting up RTL dongel on my Dell laptop. At this time the OS is Win 10 Home 64bit. But I may have to change back to 32bit. Windows is bogging down in 64bit because I think it has to do with the fact that I only have 4 gigs of memory. And it is hard to find more then 4 gig's in 1 stick without spending a lot of money. This laptop only has 1 memory stick port. I only installed 64bit to try out 1 game that won't run on 32bit. It isn't a very good game anyways.

I need some help getting the dongel working. It has been a while since I used the dongel, the OS back then was Win 7 Home 32bit. The setup with Zadig went off as plained. But SDRSHarp isn't seeing the dongel. See the attachments bellow. I think I may have missed a step somewhere. All of my notes are in a file box in storage. But those notes apply to Win 7 32bit. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Steve
zadig.jpg
zadig.jpg (46.72 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
sdrsharp.jpg
sdrsharp.jpg (143.53 KiB) Viewed 1822 times

Username

Re: re: just into a new (for me) apt

Post by Username » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:03 am

Did you download the Files from the .bat file?

Ben321

Post by Ben321 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:02 pm

reble wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:44 am
I just moved into a new apt in the sticks of West Richland. I now have a fenced yard with a very, very tall oak tree in it. Also I can now put up outside ham antennas. The only restriction is no permanent mounts, like a tower set in concrete.

Anyways I am setting up RTL dongel on my Dell laptop. At this time the OS is Win 10 Home 64bit. But I may have to change back to 32bit. Windows is bogging down in 64bit because I think it has to do with the fact that I only have 4 gigs of memory. And it is hard to find more then 4 gig's in 1 stick without spending a lot of money. This laptop only has 1 memory stick port. I only installed 64bit to try out 1 game that won't run on 32bit. It isn't a very good game anyways.

I need some help getting the dongel working. It has been a while since I used the dongel, the OS back then was Win 7 Home 32bit. The setup with Zadig went off as plained. But SDRSHarp isn't seeing the dongel. See the attachments bellow. I think I may have missed a step somewhere. All of my notes are in a file box in storage. But those notes apply to Win 7 32bit. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Steve
zadig.jpg

sdrsharp.jpg
Possible your dongle is bad. Also I think it requires a plugin DLL or something to be in the SDR# folder. Also you may need to install it as LibUSB instead of WinUSB (depending on which driver the program is trying to communicate with for controlling the SDR). Also, you shouldn't need to do this on versions of Windows above XP, but try installing as WCID driver (click on the arrow next to "reinstall driver" and select "Install WCID Driver" and then click the install button). Also, the device may need to be reinstalled if you didn't plug it into the exact same USB port as when you first installed it. So even just clicking the normal "Reinstall Driver" button may work to fix it, if you don't have it in the same USB port as when you used it the first time. Also, try downloading the latest version of Zadig, and just doing the normal WinUSB driver install for the SDR, just in case the older version of Zadig doesn't produce a proper driver installation for Windows 10.

And one more thing. After installing it again, unplug the device and plug it back in, to let Windows try to detect it using the latest installed driver. If that doesn't work, reboot the computer.

If it still doesn't work, I can't think of any other possible solutions. Your SDR might have just died, so you may need to end up buying a new one.

Username

Post by Username » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:12 pm

I guess he need some .dll files who are missing. I had the same "problem".

Ben321

Post by Ben321 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:27 pm

Username wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:12 pm
I guess he need some .dll files who are missing. I had the same "problem".
If you don't already have a file called rtlsdr.dll in your SDR# folder, do this:
Download this https://osmocom.org/attachments/downloa ... ebInfo.zip
Then in the zip file go either the folder rtl-sdr-release\x86 or rtl-sdr-release\x64 and copy the file rtlsdr.dll to your SDR# folder.
If you are using the x86 (32bit) version of SDR#, copy the rtlsdr.dll file from rtl-sdr-release\x86 in the zip file.
If you are using the x64 (64bit) version of SDR#, copy the rtlsdr.dll file from rtl-sdr-release\x64 in the zip file.

reble

Re: just into a new (for me) apt

Post by reble » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:05 pm

A note. I had to download all files new. NONE of the files from the "sdr dir" were on the backup DVD marked "ham radio prog's" and they weren't on the D: HD in the external USB case. So I download the latest version of everything.

As to everyones tips as to what to try. I will try everyone and get back to u all with a report.

By the way. What did u mean by the following "Did you download the Files from the .bat file?"?

Steve

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:16 am

Hit that cog button by the start arrow and select your dongle in the popup

reble

Post by reble » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:29 am

I got it up and running but I am going to need help in conf SDRSHarp for the best signal. Again I don't have my notes available. The dongle is now on an outside wire antenna thrown up in the tree. The coax comes in the window next to my window A/C unit. That was the other restriction. NO drilling holes in the wall to run the coax for any of my antennas. My new home QTH is darn near a stones throw from the NOAA radio antenna on top of the Federal building in Richland, Wa on 162.450mhz. At this range it should be full quieting, specially with the outside wire antenna. here is a screen capture of the rtl-sdr controller and a screen capture video/sound on a YouTube video. I hope this helps.

Steve
rtl-sdr controller.jpg
rtl-sdr controller.jpg (30.84 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z8sTJ0 ... e=youtu.be

Username

Post by Username » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:05 pm

you can get/ use this:
https://www.delock.de/produkte/1619_Ant ... kmale.html
https://www.delock.de/produkte/1619_Ant ... kmale.html

and wrap them with Alu Tape and put one side on the connector for grounding.