New version of kerberosSDR app

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
Duppo

New version of kerberosSDR app

Post by Duppo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:52 am

Great update! Just want to appreciate amount of work put to this project.
Haven't tested the application in action yet, but tried with old logs from last version. Heat map and automatic pinpointing is working GREAT.
Screenshot_20190807-094334.jpg
Screenshot_20190807-094334.jpg (574.08 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
Keep it up and best luck with sales of next kerberos sdr batch. For people who are considering buying, I would say the device and app are in really good state! Go for it.

TechCom

Re: New version of kerberosSDR app

Post by TechCom » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:04 pm

Speaking of which, where are the map files stored for the app so I can figure out their format and just add my own?
The built-in offline map downloader isn't the greatest.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:22 pm

Nice one, looks good.

The maps are from the MapBox service (a service very similar to Google Maps). I don't think it's possible to add your own maps.

They new way to use Kerberos now is to create a mobile hotspot with your phone, and have the Kerberos server connect to that. That way you'll always be online and have access to the maps, and the navigation service which requires an internet connection.

ac8dg

Post by ac8dg » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:48 pm

I did run into an error downloading. It said reached a max 6000 tiles.
Had to delete offline maps and try again a couple of times

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:28 am

ac8dg wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:48 pm
I did run into an error downloading. It said reached a max 6000 tiles.
Had to delete offline maps and try again a couple of times
Ah I think it won't let you download an area that is too large.

ac8dg

Post by ac8dg » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:15 pm

My mobile installation is this ---
Android tablet (not phone phablet) with kerberossdr app installed
RPI running the image , acting as a hot spot

When I am mobile I will NOT have internet service to get maps.

How will this work with the new idea of always having internet available ?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:26 pm

You can still download the offline maps before you go out.

BUT, you won't have access to the turn by turn navigation service. Mapbox requires internet as it needs to contact their servers to generate a route when requested.

k5cg

Post by k5cg » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:09 pm

I'm on the wait list for the next shipment and watching developments here so please forgive my ignorance.

I think I understand the way this is supposed to be put together based on the videos, but how do you get Internet access on the device you're using for turn-by-turn navigation if it's connected to the Pi's WiFi? Doesn't that turn off 4G data?

EDIT: I found that my phone can connect to the private network from the Pi and use 4G at the same time. I was able to send and receive email as a test. So that's good to know. Mobile data is active while connected to WiFi.

Can you have two devices on the Pi's WiFi SSID simultaneously; one for setup/sync and the other for navigation? Or setup/sync on the Pi's desktop (with an added touch screen)?

EDIT: Yes, I found you can have multiple clients connect to the Pi for either the web/init or vnc.

How could you rearrange the network topology to use a Hotspot in this scenario? Can the Pi and your phone connect to the Hotspot with peer visibility enabled?

EDIT: I still don't understand what the KerberosAndroid Wifi connection is for. I have setup a WiFI SSID with this name and password and nothing connects to it. What is this for?

Thanks
Danny
Last edited by k5cg on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:03 pm

The phone you're using must have a 3G/4G internet connection if you want to access the turn by turn navigation feature.

When you put that phone into "mobile hotspot" mode, it generates a WiFi hotspot and you can still use 3G/4G internet on your phone. If the mobile hotspot is named and passworded as KerberosAndroid/KerberosAndroid, the KerberoPi server will automatically connect to the WiFi hotspot upon booting. You can then access the Kerberos' setup page via a browser or the KerberosSDR app on your phone.

If you don't need the turn by turn feature, or you don't have mobile hotspot on your phone, then you can just boot the Pi up and if it doesn't see the KerberosAndroid hotspot, it will generate it's own hotspot to connect to.

k5cg

Post by k5cg » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:55 pm

Thanks for the assist.

I thought for a moment the Pi wasn't auto-connecting to the KerberosAndroid SSID because I had it connected on my LAN by Ethernet cable, but I've disconnected and restarted everything and I don't see it connecting to the AP.

I am using the rpi3_kerberossdr_image_090519.img image. Perhaps that's the problem. Downloading the latest.

EDIT: yes, that was it. The latest image connects.