SDR# issues

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
wpa2

SDR# issues

Post by wpa2 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:56 pm

Recently got back into SDR but am having some very strange issues.

When booting up sdr#v 1707 it runs for like 3 minutes then crashes, i don't get a crash log in the folder either but after checking windows errors i'm getting these.

I have tried a few fixes suggested in the sdr facebook group but nothing seems to work.

I have tried my sdr dongles using sdrconsole v3 with no issues, i just don't like the gui/

SDR# v1707 and 1700 and 1666

Code: Select all

Application: SDRSharp.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at SDRSharp.RTLSDR.NativeMethods.rtlsdr_get_device_count()
   at SDRSharp.RTLSDR.DeviceDisplay.GetActiveDevices()
   at SDRSharp.RTLSDR.RtlSdrControllerDialog.<FillDeviceList>b__28_0(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Code: Select all

Faulting application name: SDRSharp.exe, version: 1.0.0.1707, time stamp: 0x5d3f5a0b
Faulting module name: libusb-1.0.dll, version: 1.0.20.11004, time stamp: 0x55f62318
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000075ae
Faulting process ID: 0x2538
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5539631640001
Faulting application path: C:\sdrsharp-x86\SDRSharp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\sdrsharp-x86\libusb-1.0.dll
Report ID: 686eb03b-925b-410c-a2c4-02b374defd5a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks for taking time to read this.

alanzfq

Re: SDR# issues

Post by alanzfq » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:37 am

SDR# questions reach the author here https://groups.io/g/airspy
Alan

radiolistener

Post by radiolistener » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:44 pm

it looks like USB driver issue. Try to install latest zadig driver. If it won't help, then try to update USB drivers for your motherboard.

Also check that your CPU has enough cooling. Main CPU fail, memory fail or motherboard fail may also cause such issues. I would recommend to check your PC with memtest86+

wpa2

Post by wpa2 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:34 pm

alanzfq wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:37 am
SDR# questions reach the author here https://groups.io/g/airspy
Alan
Tried there and my post got deleted, waste of time.

radiolistener wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:44 pm
it looks like USB driver issue. Try to install latest zadig driver. If it won't help, then try to update USB drivers for your motherboard.

Also check that your CPU has enough cooling. Main CPU fail, memory fail or motherboard fail may also cause such issues. I would recommend to check your PC with memtest86+

I have tried all fixes you mentioned, i don't believe this is a USB issue as SDRconsole V3 works fine.

radiolistener

Post by radiolistener » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:04 am

This error happens due to corrupted memory. It may be due to hardware issue (CPU failure, RAM failure or Motherboard failure). Also it may be due to drivers error or due to mistake in the software.

But since there are no other reports about this issue from other users of SDR#, it seems that the root of cause is in your system. It may be hardware issue, or drivers issue.

This is why I suggested you to test your hardware with memtest86+. If it works ok, then the problem is in your operating system and drivers. If reinstall drivers won't helps, then you're need to reinstall entire windows completely. But don't rush to install all the software, first test if issue still exists on a clean installation. If not, then install next software and try again. In such way you can find problematic software, just remove it. Usually such things caused by some drivers. But first you're needs to make sure this is not hardware fail.

SDRconsole may works with no crash, but it doesn't means that there is no memory corrupt issue, it may be just hidden.

alanzfq

Post by alanzfq » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:56 pm

Well, I'd try the Airspy group again, prog does have his bad days but usually helps.
But what is "Framework Version: v4.0.30319" my W10 seems to have .NET 4.7

Alan

alanzfq

Post by alanzfq » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:11 pm

>my W10 seems to have .NET 4.7

No, the same as yours actually.
Alan

wpa2

Post by wpa2 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:30 pm

radiolistener wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:04 am
This error happens due to corrupted memory. It may be due to hardware issue (CPU failure, RAM failure or Motherboard failure). Also it may be due to drivers error or due to mistake in the software.

But since there are no other reports about this issue from other users of SDR#, it seems that the root of cause is in your system. It may be hardware issue, or drivers issue.

This is why I suggested you to test your hardware with memtest86+. If it works ok, then the problem is in your operating system and drivers. If reinstall drivers won't helps, then you're need to reinstall entire windows completely. But don't rush to install all the software, first test if issue still exists on a clean installation. If not, then install next software and try again. In such way you can find problematic software, just remove it. Usually such things caused by some drivers. But first you're needs to make sure this is not hardware fail.

SDRconsole may works with no crash, but it doesn't means that there is no memory corrupt issue, it may be just hidden.
Tried memory test and no issues at all 3 passes.
Honestly my pc seems fine until i use SDR# this is a fresh install of windows barely anything has been installed yet.

I say its a .net issue but given its installed with windows 10 i cant reinstall it to see if that fixes the issue.

radiolistener

Post by radiolistener » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:04 am

wpa2 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:30 pm
I say its a .net issue but given its installed with windows 10 i cant reinstall it to see if that fixes the issue.
This is NOT .net issue, this is 100% guaranteed. This is memory management issue. .net doesn't have memory issues, because it is designed to avoid them. This issue caused by some unsafe code which uses memory in incorrect way.

Usually such issues caused by hardware fail (CPU fail, RAM fail, motherboard chipset fail) or drivers. It also may be caused by bug in the software, but since there is no reports about it from other users, this is not the case. So, you're needs to check your hardware and drivers.

Run memtest86+ for 10-20 hours. Also test your CPU and GPU with stability tests. SDR# makes high load on your system, other software (except 3D games) don't make so high load. This is why SDR# is more critical to hardware stability.

wpa2

Post by wpa2 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:19 pm

I ran mem test for 5 hours and nothing passed fine, my machine gets hammered with a few different things and all is fine.

I only have an issue with SDR#, also my machine has ran this fine for ages until recently so my guess is driver issue, i reinstalled windows for this and still same issue.

Prime95 and hashcat for my GPU and no issues, i cant see this being hardware, defo driver issue somewhere.