Bluetooth Classic / LE Sniffing

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
jentel

Bluetooth Classic / LE Sniffing

Post by jentel » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:23 am

I have a question, right before purchasing SDR for some tests:

Commercial hardware for bluetooth (even Ubertooth) allows you to receive packets on a 1MHz channel. Which practically means that if you, and the transmitter, are not listening to the same channel, you will not see the transmission. pretty clear.

My questions is this. if by the spec, for example USRP - can listen to 160MHz channel, does it mean it can listen in parallel and collect packets for more than one bluetooth channel?

If not, why?

Thanks Jen

Username

Re: Bluetooth Classic / LE Sniffing

Post by Username » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:04 pm

Well its not that easy... The problem start when you want to do anything with the Data.
That mean you need some kind of decoder who run and scan the entire Band in real Time for something to decode. :shock:
When I run a DAB Decoder the CPU get very warm even its a i7!

jentel

Post by jentel » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:16 pm

So. if I understand -

It is possible to decode packets from all channels at the same time.
It just consumes a lot of CPU?

Even if I just want to record it for example to map LAP (lower address part) of bluetooth devices in range?

Username

Post by Username » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:08 pm

Well you need a Software who do that at first AND could access the Hardware to!
Some Company are not Stupid you buy a very expensive Hardware and need to pay for a Decoder or even Software who show something to. :lol:

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:12 am

If you're processing 160 MHz of bandwidth you'll need some serious processing hardware, most likely a custom FPGA solution.

An SDR gives you the raw radio data. You still need to demodulate, and then decode those bluetooth signals. I'm not sure if there's any software for that already created, but there might be something for GNU Radio.