Dedicated laptop

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
W1RNY

Dedicated laptop

Post by W1RNY » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:10 pm

I first got my amatuer license in 1967... Let it lapse and just got it back. Still trying to wrap my head around SDR!

Thought it would be interesting to get started by putting together a scanner that can handle trunked, digital commuications so I can see what my local constabulary is up to.

So, I purchased two dongles. I thought I might pick up a laptop and use it for the scanner and portable amatuer operations.

I have not purchased a laptop in years. (I build my own PCs but laptops are another matter.)

Any recommendations would be helpful.

snn47

Re: Dedicated laptop

Post by snn47 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:32 pm

Personally I liked professional HP notebooks (e.g. all of mine still work 69xx, 84xx and 2 zBooks) and only recently when their their displays quality got bad incl. brighness I choose Lenovo. You can still get allof them them refurbished and if you do not need internet access they work weel with XP or Win 7.
Before you follow any advise decide what is important to you.

Do you have an idea how much processing power you need,
what display size, resolution and brightness you want,
which OS you prefer with and/or withou internet access?
Do you want to use it fixed (AC), portable (batteries) or mobile 12 - 24 V use (HP has AC 90- 240V/DC 11 -24 V PS)?
Which interfaces do you need, pcmcia, expresscard FW, TB, USB, 2, 3.0 or 3.1?

vy 73
_.. .._. .... .__. _.__

W1RNY

Post by W1RNY » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:49 pm

Thanks for your help. I used to use HP PCs before I started building my own. I suspect for portable SDR and other ham use one does not need a lot of processing power. I do prefer SSD rather than Hdds. I will stick my own win 7 images in it as I don't like win 10

snn47

Post by snn47 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:24 am

I forgot for the professional I own I could also download the service manuals. I also like the docking stations the older ones still provide leagcy interface support missing in todays PC. It is a shame that HP does not offer decent displays anymore except for the most expensive versions.
All my HP Win 7 professional on the HP laptops are still running. I always make an image of the HDD onto a new SSD/HDD before I boot for the first time. HP unpacks everything and adjusts it to the SSD/HDD drive size in the laptop. If you have a HP refurbished one this should be the same, and so far images work also on used ones of the same type.

Username

Post by Username » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Sadly my Thinkpad was the last one who run officialy Win7 on it...
If you want something that work get a Thinkpad