RPi 4, Buster, new V3 SDR but no voltage

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
Aussie Susan

RPi 4, Buster, new V3 SDR but no voltage

Post by Aussie Susan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:45 am

The configuration is in the subject line.
The V3 dongle is brand new as is the Wideband LNA. (I bought it from a place that is supposed to be reputable so I don't think it is a cheap knock-off.)
I have installed the software to run the dongle and it seems to work OK - rtl_test shows no errors and rtl_eeprom displays and lets me alter the settings correctly.
Running GQRX works on the local radio stations so I think the dongle itself seems to be working.
The problem is that there is not voltage on the antenna connector when I turn on the bias-t (as measured with my DMM). I've used the 'rtl_baist' command which returns with the expected messages but there is no voltage on the connector.
Could it be that the dongle is faulty and, if so, is there someway I can check (test points inside it etc.)?
Susan

Aussie Susan

Re: RPi 4, Buster, new V3 SDR but no voltage

Post by Aussie Susan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:45 pm

The problem turns out to be me - indirectly.
I did finally find a picture of the V3 dongle and so opened up my one to find where to check the bias T voltages - my board was totally different.
I fell into the trap of buying a fake dongle.
Now to find a real one (and not the one on Amazon that is advertised at about $90 with some aerials but with $980 postage; and no that is not a mis-print - when I went to the checkout the total was over $1,000!)
Sorry for the wasted bandwidth.
Susan

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: RPi 4, Buster, new V3 SDR but no voltage

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:30 am

Ah damn, sorry to hear that you got a fake one. Those scammers are really nasty.

So we can try and take down the scam listing, can I know where you purchased it from that seemed reputable?