sharp sdr# does not show a devise in conroller box.

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
WVPhysicist

Re: sharp sdr# does not show a devise in conroller box.

Post by WVPhysicist » Tue May 31, 2016 3:16 pm

Since I know my device works on one computer and it doesn't work on two computers, what should I be trying to get the correct environment?
Look for different software, I have no idea where?
Uninstall all the updates?
Uninstall all the other applications?
Format the hard drive and start over?

Does anyone know how SDR# works, maybe not each instruction, but the next level up?

Where are the folks who wrote the software?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue May 31, 2016 11:06 pm

First I would try using other software with a similar function to SDR# on the computers that aren't working.

Try HDSDR or SDR-Console or CubicSDR. The QSG has install instructions for the first two http://www.rtl-sdr.com/qsg.

Check if you antivirus is messing stuff up. I've heard that Norton and other similar low quality AV software can mistake SDR# for a virus simply because it is not downloaded enough to be trusted.

Make sure there is no driver accidentally installed on the IR interface (Bulk In Interface 1).

Have a look at everything else in the troubleshooting guide on the quick start guide.

For your Side-by-side error, this usually means something has messed up your Visual C#/C++ runtimes. https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/ ... rrect.html. It can usually be fixed easily by reinstalling or installing the runtimes again. See: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 5e18e3f3ef. Or try reinstall the Visual C# runtime http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=48130.

SDR# is written in C#, using the .NET platform. So if something is messed up with your .NET install many C# based programs may not work.

You can contact the folks who wrote the SDR# software are at http://www.airspy.com, and they have a support mailing list forum on Yahoo. https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ ... ons/topics. Though they only really provide official support for their (more expensive but better) Airspy SDR product in SDR#. The RTL-SDR is something they kindly have added for free.

If the above doesn't work, show me some screenshots of your Zadig, SDR# screen, SDR# folder, Device manager, anything else that might help, and we might be able to figure something out.

WVPhysicist

Post by WVPhysicist » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:18 pm

Will do.

I launched HDSDR on the Toshiba Satellite to make screen shots showing where it fails.
That is when I found out that Print Screen doesn't work. I consider that a major system failure and don't know how to fix it.
Anyway I plugged in the DVB-T-DAB-FM thing. I call it the dongle. Then with nothing working I closed the HDSDR window.
For no reason I opend the SDRsharp application and clicked on the cogwheel. The top window was no longer blank so I clicked the triangle. For reasons I cannot explain it started working. So I have a major sucess. Now two of three machines work.
It turns out that this SDR# version is slightly different from the one on the Sony Vaio. Both are running Windows 7.

That leaves the Lenovo tower also a windows 7 machine still not working. If I get that working I will try to get the HDSDR working next and then look into making a spectrum analyzer.

I am an experienced analog electronics engineer with a lot of theory classes behind me. I know enough C to get in trouble. I am having a hard time learning Linux or much else. There is much material for beginners and experts but little for folks in between. I need links to the software design theory for the SDR applications.

I will work on screenshots next. Many thanks.

WVPhysicist

Post by WVPhysicist » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:36 pm

Screen shots from the Lenovo tower.
This is the first try and all 5 files do not appear.
Attachments
DevMan2.png
DevMan2.png (75.94 KiB) Viewed 13549 times
DevMan1.png
DevMan1.png (77.32 KiB) Viewed 13549 times
DevicMan.png
DevicMan.png (68.29 KiB) Viewed 13549 times

WVPhysicist

Post by WVPhysicist » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:42 pm

The other driver.
Two files
Attachments
DIR1.png
DIR1.png (114.71 KiB) Viewed 13549 times
DevMan3.png
DevMan3.png (85.61 KiB) Viewed 13549 times

dlritter

Post by dlritter » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:42 pm

In your SDR folder, have you run the install-rtlsdr.bat file yet? I don't see the Zadig driver installer in the folder.
In my Win7 system, the FUNCTIONING rtl-sdr dongle is shown as unknown id.
Using Zadig, use options to list all devices.
scroll down and find Bulk-In Interface 0
attach WinUSB version driver to the interface, replacing what ever might have been there.
try the libusb version or the Microsoft version.

patience is a virtue but I still bought an AIRSPY and SDRPlay to go along with the RTL.. not many utility apps for spy and play yet.

N6DL

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:54 pm

It looks like you havn't run both zadig and install-rtlsdr.bat. The windows driver screen shows no driver installed, and the folder shows no rtlsdr.dll file. When you run the bat file it should download zadig as well as the rtlsdr.dll files. Is there something preventing the bat file from running normally on your PC? Any antivirus blocking it etc? Did you try downloading zadig and rtlsdr.dll manually?

WVPhysicist

Post by WVPhysicist » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:37 am

rtlsdrblog wrote:It looks like you havn't run both zadig and install-rtlsdr.bat. The windows driver screen shows no driver installed, and the folder shows no rtlsdr.dll file. When you run the bat file it should download zadig as well as the rtlsdr.dll files. Is there something preventing the bat file from running normally on your PC? Any antivirus blocking it etc? Did you try downloading zadig and rtlsdr.dll manually?
I ran Zadag manually a number of times and install-rtlsdr.bat also a number of times. The files don't show up because I have three directories not exactly identical from three tries.
It appears there are two drivers in the Device Manager on the Lenovo tower and they are identical to the drivers found on the Sony laptop which works.
One is a dummy driver for other devices with no loaded file necessary, and the other is in the USB section and shows identified as Realtek, the sound card folks. This combination works on the Sony laptop and apparently is installed by Zadag.

I am considering now the visual C++ and .net framework environments.

WVPhysicist

Post by WVPhysicist » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:41 pm

I am in over my head. There are a hundred updates and I have no way to find out which one is causing my problem.
I am thinking about abandoning this tower. It is not portable anyway.

I need to find spectrum analyzer software that can run my sdr# dongle in a windows 7 environment.
All I see is Linux based.
Ideal would view 50MHz at a time.