Can't receive anything.

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
EdMac43

Can't receive anything.

Post by EdMac43 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:09 pm

I got the dongal and the software running and all I can get is FM radio stations. I have tried CB, Air, Public service frequencies without any success. Not a word out of them just static. What am I doing wrong?

w5dxp

Re: Can't receive anything.

Post by w5dxp » Wed May 02, 2018 8:21 pm

You probably need a better/elevated antenna. I use a 92 foot dipole at 40 feet for HF and a J-Pole at 40 feet for VHF. You may need an FM stop-band notch filter to avoid desensing.

Username

Post by Username » Thu May 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Antenna, Location, Setup?

on7ndr

Post by on7ndr » Sat May 12, 2018 6:33 pm

better first click on the configure settings of sdrsharp where you can set the gain off the dongel.
the dongle is made for vhf and up to uhf high. for tv and radio...
hf is relative a low goal , can good work on 10 m band.... but the dongle is not made for hf....
please only use RTL AGC gain (marked) and set the slider to 43 db gain .
do not mark TUNER AGC (DEFAULT) ,so unmark this tuner agc...
use a good 75 ohm coax and also a 1/4 wavelength antenne for the wanted frequency....
keep in mind that you must set to 43 db in gain.
set the ppm in the same window (configure source) little to 75 . if you are using a ezcap rtl rt820t dongle.

normal listen than in narrowband listen to 107-136 mhz in am mode to airplane's (start)
ok you can hear them?
go to 145 - 145800 mhz and listen to amateurs local and repeaters.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST ,with agc tuner only MARKED you can listen only to fm broadcast.....

GOOD LUCK NICO

HobbyMan

Post by HobbyMan » Sat May 12, 2018 7:20 pm

you should only use AGC when browsing alot, generally Tuner AGC is better than RTL AGC. Its generally better to set the gain manually though. the SDR# users guide has some good info on how the settings work in SDR#.

aurgathor

Post by aurgathor » Sat May 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Your subject title is highly misleading. FM *is* something, and since you can receive FM radio stations, that shows that your HW and SW is functional.

You need a very different antenna at much lower frequencies (i.e. AM) and that may very well explain why you can't get anything below a certain frequency, On higher frequencies (above FM) you are either not using a correct decoding, or there may not be any strong enough source nearby. Looking at SDR#'s display, you can normally see if there is a transmitter at a given frequency, even if you can't decode the signal. I know I could receive some SW stations at the higher end (probably 15 MHz and above), and occasionally some stuff between 110 and 200 MHz. But I never looked very hard.

radiowaz

Post by radiowaz » Fri May 25, 2018 1:25 am

To tell you the truth I could never get sdr# to work properly, so I switched to HDSDR which is just out of this world.. I also use GQRX on my Linus (Raspberry Pi B3+) which works just great, but not for windows. Good Luck with SDR# I tried everything I could think of and no one's advise helped,, I just gave up. Good Luck !!

Username

Post by Username » Fri May 25, 2018 1:51 pm

I use SDR# since the beginning and the work 1A! :D

radiowaz

Post by radiowaz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:18 pm

EdMac43 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:09 pm
I got the dongal and the software running and all I can get is FM radio stations. I have tried CB, Air, Public service frequencies without any success. Not a word out of them just static. What am I doing wrong?
I do have a question,, what dongle do you have.. if it early v3 or earlier, it make no work on much other than fm.. The new v3 dongle work on most bands 500hz to 1.7ghz.. let use know what dongle..

RonaldLikstrom

Post by RonaldLikstrom » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:58 am

I have the same problem, and i think it is a antenna problem.
I can get FM stations, and also some spikes here and there with squeling data (i think).

I am going to put up a dipole antenna in my backyard when i get some time and we'll see.

Did you solve your problem? Was is the antenna?