Signal Identification Help

Get help identifying an unknown signal.
zenno

Signal Identification Help

Post by zenno » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:26 pm

Does any-one know what this signal is ?. Link below...

https://youtu.be/f2bp7Ye9cUY

Thanks.
Attachments
Signal ID.PNG
Signal ID.PNG (462 KiB) Viewed 19191 times

JEL

Re: Signal Identification Help

Post by JEL » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:41 pm

Somebody told me, but I can't confirm if it's true, that these signals are locators for vehicles (Fire-trucks, ambulances, work-trucks, company vehicles, stuff like that) so that central can always see where they are at any given moment (so they can dispatch them to where they are needed and so on)

I was told this on a different forum, regarding local signals just like the one you posted, when I asked earlier (because I get them too and wondered what they are)

Again; I can't confirm if that is indeed what they are, but in my area it makes sense (they are on frequencies that belong to such entities)

zenno

Post by zenno » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks for the reply JEL.

That's interesting to know, you are probably correct in what you said there. It makes sense.

Username

Post by Username » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:10 pm

I have some similar here. Its possible to decode them?
I am just wondering what that is. :shock:

Airwind

Post by Airwind » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:39 pm

What exactly is the transmitter for the given signal? The central station or the vehicle itself?
Because if the vehicle is the transmitter then naturally one would expect the signal strength to change as the vehicle travels around.

zenno

Post by zenno » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:48 am

I found a comparison from that main signal on the 458-Mhz band and one on a much lower band at 84-Mhz, they have a similar spike. I know that the emergency fire and ambulance have a system here to monitor all their vehicles at all times, but only when the driver presses some kind of button on their radio of which sends the data to the main control computers. The signals are not exact, so still not sure whether this could be part of the emergency vehicle system on the 84-Mhz band or if it is some other commercial group. Video is below...

https://youtu.be/2jlRXPfd4Ys

phil

Post by phil » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:29 am

I believe that those are SCADA signals. They send data from all kinds of monitoring devices from storm water to gas etc. Quite prominant in a number of bands with good signals. They almost always are proprietary for the purpose and difficult to decode.

zenno

Post by zenno » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:53 am

I'd wonder on what encryption they are using if it is a community of water/storm/emergency meters. The encryption might be basic encryption if that is the case, decoding it might be possible. I left a link here below for any-one that might want to experiment with this data signal. The signal recording is in 'wave sound' and no filters were used within SDR#...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XKHrki ... sp=sharing

JEL

Post by JEL » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:10 pm

Airwind wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:39 pm
What exactly is the transmitter for the given signal? The central station or the vehicle itself?
Because if the vehicle is the transmitter then naturally one would expect the signal strength to change as the vehicle travels around.
Again; I can't confirm this, but if what I was told is true (that they are signals to locate vehicles) then I would guess they are sent by the station and received by the vehicles, which then only reply if certain signal conditions apply.

Like a 'keep alive' signal (Maybe the vehicles check the signal and alerts the driver if reception is lost or some trigger-signal is sent. Maybe they reply at certain time-intervals or, again, whenever central sends a trigger-signal. I don't know, but at any rate; I don't think they're sent by the vehicles. They are very steady here, not like mobile signals)

I really don't know though, and the reply I got in the other forum wasn't detailed. It only said it was related to vehicle location for emergency services.

It could be they're something completely different.

But the frequencies they use here, are frequencies owned by emergency services.

Water/gas meters use frequencies in the SRD860 area here (encrypted)
Some use broad-band super short bursts, while others use narrow-band transmissions up to several seconds long.