rtl-sdr.com

Discuss RTL-SDR and cheap software defined radio
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: RTL-SDR Dongle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:07 am 

I'm in the process of looking for a RTL-SDR dongle to use with a pc or phone and have no idea what to choose. If I'm going to use it on a phone it will need to be small and portable but effective.

Can anyone suggest a decent RTL-SDR dongle with the widest possible frequency range?

Post subject: Re: RTL-SDR Dongle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:37 am 
Site Admin

Look for R820T2 dongles. The nano sized ones (about 1cm x 1cm) are probably the best for phones and there's a very good low power one by Stratux on our store at www.rtl-sdr.com/store, although those have no enclosure. See the post here http://www.rtl-sdr.com/low-power-rtl-sd ... ble-store/.

If you need one with an enclosure Nooelec sell a nano one, but according to some tests done by the Stratux guy it actually performs worse than the generic dongles. So at the moment the best nano dongle is one like this https://www.amazon.com/ADSRO-RTL-SDR-Re ... rds=rtlsdr. Unless you need a TCXO, then the Nooelec one is the only choice.

For PC, i'll recommend our RTL-SDR Blog V3 dongles of course! Can be used on a phone too, but it can be more cumbersome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:10 am 

I wanted one specifically for radio scanning with the widest possible frequency range.
For example.

100KHz-1.7GHz VHF UHF Band RTL.SDR

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100KHz-1-7GHz-VHF-UHF-Band-RTL-SDR-Up-Converter-SDR-Receiver-Radio-Antennas-FM-/121927197589?hash=item1c636d6395:g:pTMAAOSwQYZWxarX

These are large and chunky but if that's what it takes to get this range of frequencies then that's what I need.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:56 am 
Site Admin

The V3 can go down to 500 kHz, but if you need LF/VLF then those will do. You might consider purchasing one of those that use an upconverter instead as they'd give slightly better HF performance, but they do cost a bit more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:51 pm 

The RTL-SDR dongles that work with Android phones (plus an OTG cable) can drain a mobile phone's battery in less than an hour. The E4000 dongles use less power, so possibly might allow some battery life.

The only ways I've found to connect an RTL-SDR to a (stock iOS) iPhone is over a network plus using a Raspberry Pi's (3 or Zero) USB port and running rtl_tcp as the interface relay between the Pi and the iPhone. The network can either be over WiFi, or hardwired using Apple's Lightning Camera Connection kit with their USB to Ethernet dongle. Then you can plug the RTL-SDR into the Pi into Ethernet into an iPhone and stream IQ data at higher sample rates than your WiFi might support reliably. There are a few SDR apps for the iPhone written in Swift (still under development; could possibly hit the App store in maybe a few weeks or months, if Apple approves).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:57 pm 

rtlsdrblog wrote:
The V3 can go down to 500 kHz, but if you need LF/VLF then those will do. You might consider purchasing one of those that use an upconverter instead as they'd give slightly better HF performance, but they do cost a bit more.

Hello

Can I find upconverter ones on ebay?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:09 am 
Site Admin

ross564 wrote:
rtlsdrblog wrote:

Hello

Can I find upconverter ones on ebay?

Yes, there are upconverter based ones available on eBay. Just need to check the description to see if it uses an upconverter or direct sampling mode.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:27 am 

pls note your phone must support OTG the cheap one dont do this. :cry: