rtl-sdr.com

Discuss RTL-SDR and cheap software defined radio
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:17 pm 

Hi there, I am very confused as to what's going on here, I have a ground plane antenna designed fr air band My current location picks up the police fine, but not the tower, if I lean the antenna back 10cm it pick's up tower but not police. Also getting some kind of interference any help would be appreciated please.
Attachment:
unnamed.png
unnamed.png [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 269 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:46 pm 

kiwikieran wrote:
Hi there, I am very confused as to what's going on here, I have a ground plane antenna designed fr air band My current location picks up the police fine, but not the tower, if I lean the antenna back 10cm it pick's up tower but not police. Also getting some kind of interference any help would be appreciated please.
Attachment:
unnamed.png

Your antenna and/or RTL-SDR might be too close to a source of RF noise, which can completely mask any more interesting signals. Your spectrum looks like something is being switched on/off at around 170 kHz, perhaps a poorly shielded power supply. Things to try include moving the RTL-SDR and antenna away from any computer, or other networking or electronic stuff, via a long USB extension cable and/or a longer coax cable to the antenna. Moving the antenna up higher (to a rooftop) and adding an LNA near the antenna may also help.

Note also that antennas have directional patterns.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Check your gain settings. Looks like the RF gain is set way to high. If you have RTL AGC or Tuner AGC turned on, then turn those off and set the gain manually.