RTL-SDR, gnuais & rtl-ais

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
lobsterman

RTL-SDR, gnuais & rtl-ais

Post by lobsterman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:48 pm

I'm trying to work out a way to display AIS targets on my own server or using gmaps, rather than send data to marinetraffic.com. I have a marine VHF way up in the air and get good ais signals from it using a dAISy2+ --> OPenCPN which works fine but offers no option for mapping onto a server.

GNUais can wrire to a database so data could be queried and displayed; the gnuais page http://gnuais.sourceforge.net is very useful but it appears to depend on audio input. I don't have anything I can tap for audio but I do have an RTL-SDR. I've been trying to install rtl-ais https://github.com/dgiardini/rtl-ais on a Debian virtual machine on OSX. The compile fails with this error:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lusb-1.0
I have librtlsdr, libusb, libpthread all installed as per the above page but cannot figure out what the lusb-1.0 is. Can someone point me to a soution here?

Debiam 8
VMware virtual machine
OSX 10.11.x

Kerbifer

Re: RTL-SDR, gnuais & rtl-ais

Post by Kerbifer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:07 am

The best bit of software I've seen is written for android. Even a cheap Android phone could be set up to do the work. AIS share on the Google App store is insanely useful.

1) Connect cheap RTL SDR dongle (obviously with an antenna connected to it) directly to the old Android phone
2) Run AIS share - and connect it to your Wifi or local network.
3) It shares the AIS messages via UDP to any device listening on that port. (run OpenCPN and instantly the ships in range appear in the right spot on the map)

I visually map the ships in my area on OpenCPN using that app. It plots all the info, and is completely dependent on your reception. Zero internet or marine traffic websites, and instant plotting of ships on a map of your own.

It's worth noting... The AIS Share app on the phone runs the dongle, keeps it on the two AIS frequencies, and decodes the data into standard strings, and sends then via a UDP port of your choosing) - it does all the work.

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:09 pm

lobsterman wrote: I've been trying to install rtl-ais https://github.com/dgiardini/rtl-ais on a Debian virtual machine on OSX. The compile fails with this error:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lusb-1.0
I have librtlsdr, libusb, libpthread all installed as per the above page but cannot figure out what the lusb-1.0 is. Can someone point me to a soution here?
OK, got rtl-ais to compile in essentially brute-force fashion: I installed every thing I could find that mentioned
librtlsdr
libusb
libpthread
and it compiles.

Now I just need to work out how to pipe the audio from rtl-ais to gnuais and I'm too much of a R Pi/Linux noob to know how to do that.

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Kerbifer wrote:The best bit of software I've seen is written for android. Even a cheap Android phone could be set up to do the work. AIS share on the Google App store is insanely useful.

1) Connect cheap RTL SDR dongle (obviously with an antenna connected to it) directly to the old Android phone
2) Run AIS share - and connect it to your Wifi or local network.
3) It shares the AIS messages via UDP to any device listening on that port. (run OpenCPN and instantly the ships in range appear in the right spot on the map)

I visually map the ships in my area on OpenCPN using that app. It plots all the info, and is completely dependent on your reception. Zero internet or marine traffic websites, and instant plotting of ships on a map of your own.

It's worth noting... The AIS Share app on the phone runs the dongle, keeps it on the two AIS frequencies, and decodes the data into standard strings, and sends then via a UDP port of your choosing) - it does all the work.
Nice, thanks for that. Looks as if there is something similar over on the App Store as well:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boat-be ... 77039?mt=8