Adding a Heatsink to The Aluminum Body

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
k4lmp

Adding a Heatsink to The Aluminum Body

Post by k4lmp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:18 pm

I have a lot of heatsinks salvaged from old PCs, and was wondering, if anyone tried putting a small one on each side of the aluminum case, with some heatsink paste? You could use a rubber band to hold them on, or get fancy with it, either way. Anyone tried this?
K4LMP
Amateur Novice in 1990
Amateur Extra in 1991

SWL Callsign WA4313SWL

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Adding a Heatsink to The Aluminum Body

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:39 am

It wouldn't hurt to try it, but I don't think there's much reason to do it unless you're putting it in a really hot environment. The metal case already provides enough heat dissipation in most circumstances. Ideally just try to keep it in an area with some airflow (e.g. not a stuffy hot room, or another enclosure without a fan).

k4lmp

Post by k4lmp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:30 pm

I did this, and it works great. I just used a ty-wrap to hold a heatsink on each side, and put heat sink paste between the RTL-SDR and the heat sink. used it for over an hour, and you could barely feel the heatsink was warm.

On another topic, I like using the AGC, but, when a strong signal transmits, the spectrum display jumps around, and sensitivity is lost for a second or two. It seems to work better on manual. Are there any adjustments I should make to the AGC?
K4LMP
Amateur Novice in 1990
Amateur Extra in 1991

SWL Callsign WA4313SWL

Kenn

Post by Kenn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:33 pm

I used to add heat sinks, thermal pads and metal enclosures before V3 came with all that. And it did help, less freq drift and fewer spurs. Even so, if I were to put one in a hotter than room temp environment, I'd probably do what you did. My V3 stills gets a bit warm, not too hot to handle though.

Regarding AGC, what are you using? In GQRX, under 'Receiver Options' there's AGC options for Fast, Medium, Slow, User and Off.

-KA0SBL

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:16 am

k4lmp wrote:I did this, and it works great. I just used a ty-wrap to hold a heatsink on each side, and put heat sink paste between the RTL-SDR and the heat sink. used it for over an hour, and you could barely feel the heatsink was warm.

On another topic, I like using the AGC, but, when a strong signal transmits, the spectrum display jumps around, and sensitivity is lost for a second or two. It seems to work better on manual. Are there any adjustments I should make to the AGC?
There's no adjustments for the RF AGCs, and i'd recommend leaving them off and just using manual gain.

k4lmp

Post by k4lmp » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:58 pm

I'm using SDR#. I liked the looks of HDSDR better, but, it seems like SDR# is easier, and more adjustable. I've been leaving the AGC off. It seems to do a lot better.
K4LMP
Amateur Novice in 1990
Amateur Extra in 1991

SWL Callsign WA4313SWL