rtl-sdr.com

Discuss RTL-SDR and cheap software defined radio
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:18 pm 

I have a lot of heatsinks salvaged from old PCs, and was wondering, if anyone tried putting a small one on each side of the aluminum case, with some heatsink paste? You could use a rubber band to hold them on, or get fancy with it, either way. Anyone tried this?

SWL Callsign WA4313SWL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:39 am 
Site Admin

It wouldn't hurt to try it, but I don't think there's much reason to do it unless you're putting it in a really hot environment. The metal case already provides enough heat dissipation in most circumstances. Ideally just try to keep it in an area with some airflow (e.g. not a stuffy hot room, or another enclosure without a fan).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:30 pm 

I did this, and it works great. I just used a ty-wrap to hold a heatsink on each side, and put heat sink paste between the RTL-SDR and the heat sink. used it for over an hour, and you could barely feel the heatsink was warm.

On another topic, I like using the AGC, but, when a strong signal transmits, the spectrum display jumps around, and sensitivity is lost for a second or two. It seems to work better on manual. Are there any adjustments I should make to the AGC?

SWL Callsign WA4313SWL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:33 pm 

I used to add heat sinks, thermal pads and metal enclosures before V3 came with all that. And it did help, less freq drift and fewer spurs. Even so, if I were to put one in a hotter than room temp environment, I'd probably do what you did. My V3 stills gets a bit warm, not too hot to handle though.

Regarding AGC, what are you using? In GQRX, under 'Receiver Options' there's AGC options for Fast, Medium, Slow, User and Off.

-KA0SBL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:16 am 
Site Admin

k4lmp wrote:
I did this, and it works great. I just used a ty-wrap to hold a heatsink on each side, and put heat sink paste between the RTL-SDR and the heat sink. used it for over an hour, and you could barely feel the heatsink was warm.

On another topic, I like using the AGC, but, when a strong signal transmits, the spectrum display jumps around, and sensitivity is lost for a second or two. It seems to work better on manual. Are there any adjustments I should make to the AGC?

There's no adjustments for the RF AGCs, and i'd recommend leaving them off and just using manual gain.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:58 pm 

I'm using SDR#. I liked the looks of HDSDR better, but, it seems like SDR# is easier, and more adjustable. I've been leaving the AGC off. It seems to do a lot better.

SWL Callsign WA4313SWL