SDR > Decoded AID via IP *or* VirtualRadarServer for AIS/marine

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
monorailmedic

SDR > Decoded AID via IP *or* VirtualRadarServer for AIS/marine

Post by monorailmedic » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:14 am

I'm new to SDR tinkering but have been a ham for 20+ years and a nerd for longer. I started messing with some basics (sending a feed to FlightRadar24 from a PC, using the dongle on a PC and Android device for using it as a simple tuner for listening, etc) and now have a bit of a mission I'm on.

After some searching I feel like what I'm looking to do for my next project is possible in a couple ways, but I'm not sure the easiest way. I'd appreciate any guidance - even if it involves pointing out something I obviously missed.

I want to be able to have a RTL-SDR on a windows machine (to start, though eventually a Pi could be neat) outputting a decoded AIS stream in a way that an Android mapping application can overlay the data. In other words, I need to be able to see AIS data overlayed on a map on my phone, even though the receiver is on a machine elsewhere on the same network. I'd also like to use offline maps (no dependency on internet access).

Alternatively, the PC could be doing all the heavy lifting and sever this experience via HTTP (in the same way that VirtualRadarServer works - I love the simplicity of that).

Thanks in advance for your patience with my n00bness.

BH

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: SDR > Decoded AID via IP *or* VirtualRadarServer for AIS/marine

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:02 am

I believe OpenCPN is available for Android, so that would probably be a good mapping program to use.

Then use a program like AISDeco2 on your Windows machine and have it output the data to the network. OpenCPN can then connect to the Windows machine and display the data on the map.

KazinsBF

Post by KazinsBF » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Check this thread https://www.rtl-sdr.com ;)
Basicly explain you eversing.Just started learning like you did :D
I hope its gonna help you.Cheer
"life is good?NOPE" :D
My current project and development.

monorailmedic

Post by monorailmedic » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 pm

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:02 am
I believe OpenCPN is available for Android, so that would probably be a good mapping program to use.

Then use a program like AISDeco2 on your Windows machine and have it output the data to the network. OpenCPN can then connect to the Windows machine and display the data on the map.
Cool, this could work. I figured a VirtualRadar-like solution was being a bit hopeful, but I can work with this. AISDesco2 seems really straight forward. I was seeing so much focus on using an audio piping method I hadn't noticed that this actually decodes the data.

monorailmedic

Post by monorailmedic » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:03 pm

KazinsBF wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:44 pm
Check this thread https://www.rtl-sdr.com ;)
Basicly explain you eversing.Just started learning like you did :D
I hope its gonna help you.Cheer
Oh trust me, I've been taking it all in :-)