NOAA Satellite Reception [HELP]

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Chapster

NOAA Satellite Reception [HELP]

Post by Chapster » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:53 am

Hello, I recently picked up an rtl-sdr and have tried to receive NOAA images using the stock dipole antenna in a v-pole configuration. Every pass I manage to hear the iconic signal and I can see it slightly on the waterfall display. However, once I process the recording through WXtoImg I just get a whole lot of static. It seems as though there is alot of noise or something. I am not using a filter nor an LNA however are these things really necessary?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Chapster

Re: NOAA Satellite Reception [HELP]

Post by Chapster » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 am

These are my images so far....
NOAA_1.jpg
NOAA_1.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 3049 times
NOAA_First_Normal.jpg
NOAA_First_Normal.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 3049 times

Aussie Susan

Post by Aussie Susan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:10 am

They look like some of my images (I'm based in Melbourne so I also have a similar coastline showing up).
I have a QFH antenna with an LNA and I can also get some quite decent images as well. I use an SDRPlay RSPII rather than the RTL-SDR but that is possibly not important here.
What you are seeing is the result of a very weak signal sch that the WxtoImg (or whatever) software cannot properly decode the information.
As I say, I get some images like this when it is a low(ish) pass or if the satellite passes behind some obstacle. Otherwise the centre of the received image is quite good.
I would recommend an LNA and possibly a better antenna.
Susan

Chapster

Post by Chapster » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:13 am

Thank you Susan for your feedback is a big help, I've ordered an LNA and will try and build a QFH antenna in the future.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:00 am

If you're feeding a recorded audio file in make sure that the sample rate is converted to 11025 first. You can use Audacity to change the sample rate.

With the v-dipole make sure that it is oriented north-south, has a good view of the sky and is extended to the correct length for 137 MHz.