New Member Saying Hello.

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Wilf

New Member Saying Hello.

Post by Wilf » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Hello,
I am 50 years old and live in the UK.
I am not new to radio or PC, but I am very new to SDR, my only experience with SDR, being using a couple of the online SDR,s.
I have radios and antennas various, but today my very first SDR dongle arived in the post.
I bought a Blue 820T2 dongle and pigtail from ebay.
I have a Windows 7 and a Windows 10 laptop, but would initialy like to set up my new dongle on my new Acer Iconia One 7 android tablet, which has 16 GB Rom, 1 GB Ram and Android 6.0.
I have looked round the net, but a lot of the posts I read are from a few years back.
I am still waiting on the USB OTG cable coming, but it should be here tommorow, so my plan is to have a go at setting it up over the weekend.
My first question is, what android software comes recommended ?
The paperwork that came with the dongle only gives set up info for Windows, with no mention of android, and has a revision date of 2014.
Thanks very much in advsance.
Regards,
Wilf.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: New Member Saying Hello.

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:02 pm

Welcome! For Windows SDR#, HDSDR, SDR Console or SDRuno. See our QSG here www.rtl-sdr.com/QSG.

From Android SDR Touch and RF Analyzer are the main options. Wavesink if you want to listen to DAB.

Wilf

Post by Wilf » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi,
Thanks very much for the info, I will have a go over the weekend.
Regards,
wilf.

Wilf

Post by Wilf » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi,
Well, that went much better than expected !
I downloaded SDRtouch and the RTL driver.
I purchased the product/pro key too.
It works perfectly, im delighted.
Im now looking for a similar type of dongle as I would like to try MW andf SW too.
Are there any recommendations for a similar type of dongle that will cover MW/SW and be compatable with my above Acer tablet and SDRtouch.
I have heard about upconvertors, should I go that way? or just get a dongle with full coverage ?
Thanks very much.
Wilf.

Brightnoise

Post by Brightnoise » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:27 pm

Welcome. I own more dongles and I recommend you, based on my experience, to buy the already modified RTL-SDR V3. See webshop of rtl-sdr. Than you have a stable oscillator, not drifting away from the indicated frequency. And further you have already the option to use 500 kHz to 14 MHz in direct-sampling mode. With a good (read: selective) antenna tuner/preselector it is possible to receive up to 28 MHz: be aware of the presence of spurious signals and aliasing effects. For full-shortwave reception you can later on decide to buy (or DIY) a separate upconverter.

Wilf

Post by Wilf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi Brightnoise,
Thanks very much for the reply and the info, I will have a look at the V3 dongles.
Also, is there a correct/approved way to set the gain ?
At the moment I just slide the gain adjusment to where the signal I am listening to sounds best, what is the correct way to adjust or set the gain.
Thanks again for the replys.
Regards,
Wilf.

Brightnoise

Post by Brightnoise » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:07 pm

Gain setting: with direct sampling in the V3-dongle there is no gain setting. You need to do the gain adjustment in front of the dongle, before the input connector. For example with a carbon or cermet potentiometer. I use 500 Ohm linear and that works fine. Mismatch is not causing problems. (The lower frequencies below 1 MHz have higher attenuation than higher frequencies).

Gain setting (quadrature sampling, the frequency range above 24 MHz) is discussed in the FAQ: just increase gain until you see a 5 dB increase of the noise floor. Then you are sure that the noise you see and hear is caused by the antenna, or at least coming from the system in front of the dongle. To much gain causes overload and IM-products.

In fact it is correct to listen and to set the gain for best audible signal quality.

Wilf

Post by Wilf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Hi,
Ok, thank you for the info,
I,ll look throught the FAQ,s again.
All the best,
Wilf.

Wilf

Post by Wilf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi,
My V3 RTL-SDR dongle arrived.
It works perfectly with SDRTouch on my tablet and as I already had SDRTouch installed on my tablet it was plug and play, Im delighted.
It seems to work well with my various antennas, it likes my home made loops.
I will endeavour to try it on my Windows 10 lap top over the weekend.
What is the prefered software to run a V3 RTL-SDR dongle on my Windows 10 laptop ? will I just pick one and give it a go, or is there a particular one that the V3 dongle likes ?
Thanks very much in advance for any replys.
Regards,
Wilf.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:14 am

On Win 10 SDR# is probably the most popular. But there is also HDSDR, SDR-Console and SDRUno all of which work well. Just a matter of preference.