SDR# Dark Mode and more...

Talk about anything else here.
EddieMac74

SDR# Dark Mode and more...

Post by EddieMac74 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 am

Hello All,

I have created another new plugin for those of you who like all black app interfaces. Great for saving battery power on laptops and tablets, easy on the eyeballs at night too.

There are three features off the plugin:

"Night Mode" or "Regular Mode" - allowing the app to be black or not
"Bottom Tool Bar" - allows you to place the radio control tool bar on the top or bottom of the app
"Remove Padding" - remove the 10px border around all the controls giving you a tiny amount of more workable space.

Here are some screen shots..,

"Normal Mode"
Normal.png
Normal.png (127.58 KiB) Viewed 1699 times

"Night Mode" (with padding removed)
Night Mode.png
Night Mode.png (130.33 KiB) Viewed 1699 times

Tool Bar On Bottom
Tool Bar On Bottom.png
Tool Bar On Bottom.png (120.6 KiB) Viewed 1699 times

The plugin should work with Win7 on may work with older versions.

Anyone interested and I will try and get a drop box account set up to host it so I don't have to keep bugging the kind Admins here to host it for me.

Thanks,

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: SDR# Dark Mode and more...

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:38 pm

Thanks very nice. I think you should be even able to upload the zip to the forum directly. But you could also try uploading them to megaupload, or something similar?

EddieMac74

Post by EddieMac74 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:13 am

Hi, I was not sure if i uploading zips was allowed, but here is the zip for the plugin mentioned above

UPDATED Feb-19-2018
NightModePlugin Ver 1.1.zip
(8.47 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

As always, any bugs or change requests can be emailed to me.

Also, if anyone is interested I plan on adding a feature which will allow you to dynamically load/unload plugins at run-time and re-arrange their order on the panel, as well as show or hide the plugin from the app directly.

Once i see if the plugin is actually useful to SDR# users or not I will post an update for it.
Last edited by EddieMac74 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

JEL

Post by JEL » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:04 pm

For strictly 'battery-saving' uses; you might want to make an 'all white' version (A user-option, between black and white, for example, so the user can still choose black if working at night-time), since traditional LCD screens use less power to show white than when showing black (The pixels use power to block the back-light, so black tones on the screen is actually drawing a bit more electrical current)

I don't know if LED screens do the same, or if they use more power with white tones.
Plasma screens use more power when showing white.

EddieMac74

Post by EddieMac74 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:16 am

Thanks for the info and you are correct.

I am currently changing the plugin to allow the user to change the colors of the app to whatever they want.

With the ability to load and save their own presets as well.

I have created yet another plugin that allows you to add a mini toolbar control onto the top of the SDR# app to give access to radio controls, FFT controls, squelch controls and Filter controls as well. (It is really a pain opening, closing and scrolling through plugin panels all the time)

I think I have figured out how to basically control any graphical item on the app itself, including adding my own items and custom controls. I even replaced the frequency display on mine with a digital font one.)

Since this plugin and the night mode plugin all deal with the user interface of SDR# I might enclose all of them into a single plugin called "UI Tweaks".

My ultimate goal was to figure out how to make plugins. Which I think I have accomplished. So after I finish to make changes to the user interface of SDR# I am going to still support my current plugins but move on to DSP plugin creation - specifically Digital decoders and filters.

My big project is making decoder plugins to work without independent software to decode things such as Trunked Radio and other digital radio formats.

There is a lot of possibilities hidden away in the guts of SDR# that's waiting to be taken advantage of.

If anyone is fluent with the demodulation methods in SDR# please drop me an email.

Thanks,

PE7000

Post by PE7000 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your second plugin "Dark Mode".
On my desktop computer, second screen, it looks good, really cool.
I made a simple demo video on YouTube of this first impression of Dark Mode.

https://youtu.be/L5Zc_dytx20

Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Hi Eddie,

Just downloaded this nice plugin, but found an issue with the Frequency Manager plugin by Vasili : only the selected entry is visible when the Black Mode is enabled. All other memories remain 'blank', as if there was a single entry.
If required I can send a screenshot (sorry I didn't find your email).

Looking forward to the other plugins you're working on ! (especially the 'tool bar' you mention).

Best regards
Patrick

EddieMac74

Post by EddieMac74 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the info. I found the bug and will release a fix soon. I appreciate your interest. Having only one operating system to test on makes it difficult to catch bugs that might appear on others.

My email is in the readme file included in the plugins.

JEL

Post by JEL » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:18 am

EddieMac74 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:16 am
(It is really a pain opening, closing and scrolling through plugin panels all the time)
I agree.
The panel-system could be more user-friendly.
EddieMac74 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:16 am
I am going to still support my current plugins but move on to DSP plugin creation - specifically Digital decoders and filters.

My big project is making decoder plugins to work without independent software to decode things such as Trunked Radio and other digital radio formats.
I've found that decoders is one of the thing I spend most time looking for.

Even 'simple' ones like CW would be really nice to be able to work directly within SDR#.

I sometimes end up having many programs open when scanning, to deal with all the various types of signals being used. It can get quite overwhelming to keep track of everything.
And also, because all these different programs often have their own way of working, you have to learn how to operate them all and figure out how each one is meant to be set up (Software-authors don't all think alike, which can be quite a challenge.)

Maybe you can use some of the open-source decoders, and port some of them into panels in SDR#.
I believe the "RTL_433" (For decoding SRD_433 hardware around the 433 MHz band) is one that is freely available. I'm sure there are others.
(I'm not quite at a point where I can do any coding of SDR# plugins myself.)

EddieMac74

Post by EddieMac74 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:51 am

Hello All,

Please note the "Night Mode' plugin has been updated to Version 1.1 (The original link has been edited with the new version as well.

You can also download it here
NightModePlugin Ver 1.1.zip
(8.47 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
I have fixed the problem it was causing to Vaselli's Frequency Manager plugin and added a white mode.

NOTE: If you are using my Visual Tuning Dial Plugin, you may have to reapply the color scheme again for the Tuning Dial Plugin to pick up the changes. THIS IS NOT A BUG. It is a problem with the way windows renders custom controls. It has already been fixed in version 1.2 of the Tuning Dial Plugin which will be released within the next few days.

It should have no bugs now; however; email me if you find any (email is in plugin zip file)

Once again, thanks to you all who use it I appreciate it