What more to buy with Airspy mini - cables, connectors, converters?

Talk about other SDR products like the FunCube, HackRF, BladeRF etc.
fLa

What more to buy with Airspy mini - cables, connectors, converters?

Post by fLa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi, I'm new to the SDR world and will buy the Airspy Mini, my first project will be weather images from NOAA.

I wonder what more I need to buy then the Airspy Mini itself, not sure what antenna, cables etc it comes with. Of course I will have to build the antenna for NOAA but what type of other antennas, connectors, converters will I need to play around and connect it all together. Would be great if you can recommend a list of good to have antennas, connectors, converters, cables etc. for this project and future, would like to have a bunch of stuff at home so I can do what I want without waiting for deliveries :P

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: What more to buy with Airspy mini - cables, connectors, converters?

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:51 am

I believe that the Airspy comes with no accessories, it's just the dongle itself that you get.

If you want to listen to NOAA etc, i'd suggest looking at building a V-dipole or QFH antenna yourself. You'll need coax, and maybe some SMA adapters and connectors if you're making up the coax connections yourself.

You'll probably also want a couple meter long USB extension cable.

Other than that it really depends on what else you'd like to do with it. You don't need an upconverter unless you want to listen to HF.

JEL

Re: What more to buy with Airspy mini - cables, connectors, converters?

Post by JEL » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:01 am

I find myself using 'sma' to 'F-type' or 'TV-aerial' connectors all the time.

The airspy mini has 'sma' (female) connectors, and some antennas have F-type (Mostly female on the antenna itself, but sometimes provided with a cable that has 2 male F-type connectors) or TV-aerial connector (Typically with a cable ending with a male connector)