MIssing something setting up SDR-RTL w/HDSDR

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
wolfhound1989

MIssing something setting up SDR-RTL w/HDSDR

Post by wolfhound1989 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 am

1) HP Laptop Running Win 7 x64 Memory 4030 Meg
DVB-T & FM + DAB USB 2.0
820T2 & SDR
Running HDSDR version 2.76
2) Normally strong FM signals can barely be heard due to white noise (static). I have tried in both FM and ECSS modes.
I have tuned to FM radio stations and NOAA frequencies. Being located close to DFW airport I would have thought that I would be able to pick up some frequencies. I have also tried numerous AM stations as well.

3) After following the quick start guide I thought that I may have done something wrong as I was unable to tune in any FM or AM station audibly. I was not receiving any error messages just heavy white noise over the very weak audio.

4) I have seen two different DLL files called out during the course of my looking into my issue online. Below are both the files I have tried and the observations. I am confused as to which one I should be using at this point.

a. When ExtIO_RTL2832.DLL is used when you go into ExtIO settings there is no PLL green window displayed. Also, offset tuning is grayed out
b. When ExtIO_RTL.DLL is used when you go into ExtIO settings the PLL green window displayed. Also, offset tuning is available
HDSDR screen.png
HDSDR screen.png (498.17 KiB) Viewed 881 times
HDSDR screen.png
HDSDR screen.png (498.17 KiB) Viewed 881 times

Thank you for the assistence.
Attachments
Zadig screen.png
Zadig screen.png (116.3 KiB) Viewed 881 times

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: MIssing something setting up SDR-RTL w/HDSDR

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:29 am

The dongle and HDSDR appear to be running normally, it's just that you have your bandwidth set far too low for that WFM signal.

See step 13 of the HDSDR QSG. That step has you set the sampling rate to 48000 which is okay for NFM signals. But for WFM you'd want to set that to the largest 192000.

I'll edit the QSG to make this more clear too.

wolfhound1989

Post by wolfhound1989 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Thank you for the assistance. I tried the recommended settings without success.

I do have a couple of observations and follow-up questions.

In Step 12 of the QSG it shows a 4 panel of options when I selecting sound card. Mine does not show this. I only have two panels. Is this okay?

In Step 13 of the QSG shows numerous sampling selections for the input and output sides. On my input side I only see a drop down with four selections. Is this okay?

In Step 15 of the QSG should I see PLL locked in a green box when I select the ExtIO?

Thank you again for the help.

Regards.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:07 pm

It's possible that your soundcard is different, or that it's input is disabled or non-existant.

If the Input from radio and output to speakers are showing then this is fine. For step 13 the input side does not matter if you're using an RTL-SDR. Only the Output side matters.

Newer EXTIO's might show the green PLL locked, that's fine and good.