Airspy HF+

Talk about other SDR products like the FunCube, HackRF, BladeRF etc.
P-40 Warhawk

Airspy HF+

Post by P-40 Warhawk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:20 pm

I have a interesting question about the airspy HF+ can a person run HDSDR on it . If so how do you go about it .

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Airspy HF+

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:58 am

Yes, grab the extio for the HF+ here http://www.montefusco.com/airspyhf/.

Then add it to your HDSDR folder in the same way you would with any other radio.

P-40 Warhawk

Post by P-40 Warhawk » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:06 pm

Thank you for giving me that website . I now can run airspy HF+ on HDSDR . Their is a problem the controls in extio aren't working . Now I know that some of the controls work when the program is running and some controls work when the program is stopped. I also find the same to be true when using SDR SHARP . Now does anybody have a idea of whats going on ????

JEL

Post by JEL » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:41 pm

I don't have the HF+, but could it be firmware incompatibility with the extio file version?

I know the HF+ makers updates the HF+ firmware very often, so perhaps the extio matches an older firmware and this causes some trouble?

I have been on the fence about getting the HF+ myself, so I don't talk from experience here, but thought I would just mention it anyway in case it might be helpful somehow :)

Good luck!

P-40 Warhawk

Post by P-40 Warhawk » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Hi Jel .
If I were you as a starter way to get into this hobby is to buy a MFJ 1020C and the RTL V3 . That would save you eighty dollars as apposed to buying the airspy HF+ . The V3 and MFJ 1020C is a grate match . I can't recommend the HF+ because of lack of software to run it . SDR Sharp software witch is a airspy software doesn't have the controls in extio that give you control you should have to operate the HF+ and get full uses of the radio . The HF AGC.
is blanked out ,HF threshold blanked out , HF preamp blanked out , and most importune is the HF . Attenuation without being able to Attenuate the signal coming in and at full gain you will miss some small in coming signals . Well anyway that my two Penney's worth .

hotpaw2

Post by hotpaw2 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:25 pm

An Airspy HF+ has a ton more dynamic range than an RTL-SDR, so doesn't need a much control over HF gain and attenuation to catch weak signals. Although an RF band-pass filter and/or broadcast band-stop filter will help almost any radio receiver.

Also, I found that libairspyhf provides all the controls that a (macOS, Linux and Raspberry Pi) software developer needs to operate and use data from an HF+ for SDR.

P-40 Warhawk

Post by P-40 Warhawk » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi Hotpaw2 .
I am running windows 10 so macOS, Linux and Raspberry Pi doesn't do me any good I am also software changed . From what I see , if you over drive the front end you miss the weak signals , the noise floor hides them . Now you would think that airspy the people who come up with the HF+would have provided the software to run it the right way . All airspy did was say here it is , we will give you software that turns it on , after that we don't care . Well whats with that nonsense . Now you say how grate it is , well how does anybody know with out any control over it . My two Penney's worth .

JEL

Post by JEL » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:06 pm

P-40 Warhawk wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:06 pm
Hi Jel .
If I were you as a starter way to get into this hobby is to buy a MFJ 1020C and the RTL V3 . That would save you eighty dollars as apposed to buying the airspy HF+ .
Thank you for the suggestion :)

I am currently using a 'normal' 'cheap' dongle with zadiq-drivers, and then an AirspyR2 with a spyverter.
I use SDR# for both.

I'm not sure how much more I would pick up in the lower frequencies with the HF+ versus the AirspyR2/spyverter combo.
I hear from various users, who have the HF+, that the difference between those 2 setups is not very big, so I think I will just continue with what I have and see if some new radio comes up in the future which may be more interesting (A broadcast-enabled, for example)