SDR setup that a non-geek can use?

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
K9fmx

SDR setup that a non-geek can use?

Post by K9fmx » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:32 pm

Have an rtl-sdr that has worked ONCE in multiple (lost count) install/uninstall/reinstall cycles. Have no idea why it worked the one time and cannot be made to work again. Have read scores of troubleshooting tips, most of which assume the reader is a software expert....could be in a foreign language, about the same to me. Thus, the subject line....are there any of these "dongles" that are actually useable by an average joe, non-geek computer user?

illllm

Re: SDR setup that a non-geek can use?

Post by illllm » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:15 pm

when you say it does not work now, or that it used to work, can you describe what the issues is ? and what version of SDR do you have ?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:25 am

All SDRs are heavily software based by default. They're all going to require decent computer skills to operate.

But if you let us know the details of your issues we can try to help..

Username

Post by Username » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:07 pm

and which sdr?

aurgathor

Post by aurgathor » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:29 am

SDR# comes with a DOS batch file that automatically downloads and installs all the needed SW. (I installed my first SDR manually by reading the fine manual, well before V3 was released)

I also have an Airspy HF+, and that was plug and play with Win 10, though I had to manually download and install a driver with Win 7.

As rtlsdrblog alluded to, for a software defined radio, some SW install may be needed, though I don't think it requires that much of a computer skill. You just need to follow instructions.

If you need specific help, you need to be more specific.