SDR# Plugin Manager Suite RELEASED

Talk about anything else here.
EddieMac74

SDR# Plugin Manager Suite RELEASED

Post by EddieMac74 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:11 am

Hello All,

The project previously known as the "Pluginizer" has finally been RELEASED. It is now called "Plugin Manager Suite".

You can download it here: https://SDRPlugins.com/downloads

Please Note: If you have any questions on using the plugin, there is a 27 page user manual included in the Zip package. As well there are 2 repository files. One for my website and a test one for this website RTL-SDR.

If you find any bugs / errors, have comments or suggestions please let me know. I hope you all find it useful. I spent a long time getting it to work properly and intuitively and spent countless hours checking code over and over and over and over... however as most of the coding was done in the wee hours of my evenings / mornings I might have missed something.

Thanks for everyone's help and to my numerous BETA testers for their efforts

Thanks,

Eddie

JEL

Re: SDR# Plugin Manager Suite RELEASED

Post by JEL » Sun May 13, 2018 6:39 am

Hi Eddie, just wondering; how difficult would it be for you to create a scanner-plugin, and is it something you are considering doing?

I ask because the 2 scanners I am aware of, for SDR#, don't do USB-signals very well (Airbands in the HF-region use that)

Both scanners work well at higher frequencies, at AM and NFM, but struggle with the ever-changing signals in the HF-region.

I was wondering if some kind of scanner for that is possible to make?

(I would like to get into plugin-creation myself, but I would need some stencils to work from to be able to get anywhere with my limited knowledge on plugin-code for SDR#. I don't even know how to get the received audio into a variable I could work with, or even how to set up variables in the first place. I can do VST audio-plugins, but SDR# doesn't support those, so obviously that's of no help here)

EddieMac74

Post by EddieMac74 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi,

I have been asked numerous times to create a scanner plugin. I have been considering it. Currently I am involved in two separate projects for plugins. one I am behind on and need to get caught up on. I am not sure at this point if I am at liberty to talk about that one. The second is in development and is a plugin to give support the one of Contour mouse with the jog wheel on it. That should be finished in about a week or a week and a half before it goes for beta testing.

When these are completed, I may try to make a scanner plugin. I am also spending my lunch breaks at work building an independent ADS decoder for SDR# built entirely in .Net (I am currently working on the frame decoder)

If would be super cool if there were other programmers where we could all work commonly on GitHub or something and combine our efforts, I am kind of tapped out for making GUI enhancement plugins for SDR# and would love to get into some serious decoding if I could. Which is what my original intentions were in January when I first started programming plugins for SDR#

If you wish, you could start a new post and discuss with other users who are interested on what features you would like to have in a scanner, then perhaps by the time I am finished my other projects I could use those posts as a way to create the plugin for you.

Thanks for your interest.

Eddie

JEL

Post by JEL » Tue May 15, 2018 12:44 am

Thanks for your reply, Eddie :)

I can source things in JSFX-language (Which then get compiled into VST2 plugins, which are DLL-files used in different audio/video-software) and XML-language (Which is one of the languages used in Lockheed-Martin's flight-simulator software), which, unfortunately, are both pretty useless in SDR# :)

I can also do some things in C++, but only if I have a working stencil to build on (C++ never gelled with me)

I have zero experience with the net-language used in SDR# plugins, so kind of hopeless there (Like with C++ I might be able to wrap my head around simple things if building on a working stencil, but I wouldn't bet on it :) )

I'm not really sure if a scanner that hunts for USB-signals is even possible (There's not really anything solid to lock on to), but I'll give some more thought to it.

We'll see where the future goes :)

EddieMac74

Post by EddieMac74 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:03 am

A good place to get started programming plugins is to download the express version of .NET (free for personal use) and install at least the C# pack. Then go to the Airspy website and download Youssef's zipped examples on coding plugins.
While they are not documented you can use them as an example of the steps involved.

If you know a bit of c++ that is great it should be a good spring board to learn C#. In fact, you can even program simple plugins (like my tuner knob) in Visual Basic. Both C# and VB.NET compile to Common Language Run time anyway so to SDR# it's not much difference. The only caveat is that if you want to create any plugins to do processing on signals of any sort you MUST use C# as it supports the data types SDR# uses and VB does not. As well, VB does not allow unsafe code which C# can be instructed to allow.

Another great resource for learning to program pluginsfor SDR# is GitHUb and another great place is Andrej Mohar's website where he actually has a tutorial and an good explanation of the plugin coding process. You can find it here http://www.andrej-mohar.com/plugin-basics-for-sdr

If you would like an example of a "stencil" as you call it - a template, I would be happy to share a template in both VB and C# for you to use to start to learn. However, I would suggest begginning with C# from the start.

The basics of it is that the "plugin" is actually in interface that is called while SDR# loads. The "Plugins.xml" file tells SDR# what your dll is called and what the name of the plugin is. Once it has initialized your plugin, SDR# sharp asks the plugin for a "panel" control which contains the controls for your plugin. In also returns to you a "control" object interface that allows you to receive notifications of program value changes or to set program values. There are more complex things you can do but the basics are simple.

As for scanning, it should not matter what kind of signal you are searching for, as long as you set a detector type for the signal you are searching for, set a minimum signal limit, have an actual signal and set a time limit for the plugin to dwell on a frequency looking for the signal it should work. There are other things that are necessary to do when programming a scanner plugin, but it is not super hard.

Hope that helps

Eddie

robman501a

Post by robman501a » Tue May 15, 2018 9:35 pm

Any idea if this would work with the older versions of SDR#? I have to use SDR# version 1411-1500 for my SDRplay RSP.

EddieMac74

Post by EddieMac74 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:33 am

I can't honestly say. It may. The plugin manager suite is programmed in the same framework version as SDR# which is 4.6.
If it is the same framework it should work.
Hope that helps.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed May 16, 2018 5:45 am

I believe older versions used an older .NET version so it probably won't be compatible sadly. Part of the reason why SDRplay support was dropped was because the extio system didn't support newer .NET versions

JEL

Post by JEL » Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 am

Thank you, Eddie.

Yes, I mean template :)

I will look into the links you posted and see if it looks like something I can figure out.