SpectrumSpy with Airspy HF+

Talk about anything else here.
aurgathor

SpectrumSpy with Airspy HF+

Post by aurgathor » Fri May 25, 2018 1:34 am

I'm trying to use the latest release of SpectrumSpy with the AirSpy HF+, but all I get is: "Cannot open AirSpy device" :mad:

I tried to mouse around, but I could not find any place to select AirSpy HF+ instead of AirSpy. I also looked at the config file, but I didn't see any place for the device name. The HF+ works fine with SDR#, so the HW is good.

Does anyone know how to configure SpectrumSpy to work with the HF+?

I thought that they would make their tools work with all of their own SDRs, especially with their top of the line device.... :shock:

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: SpectrumSpy with Airspy HF+

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 am

I don't think Spectrum Spy works with the HF+ unfortunately. Unlike the other Airspies, the HF+ is a relatively narrowband device, so it's not ideal for wideband scanning as the scan time would be too long. That's probably why they didn't enable it for SpectrumSpy.

aurgathor

Post by aurgathor » Fri May 25, 2018 7:23 pm

I see. That's a good reason, although they could've just throw up a dialog box warning the user that scanning may take some time.

So lemme ask this a little differently. Would a cheap RTL-SDR be suitable for scanning 5 - 10 MHz or so? (since I got two of them, including the v3) If yes, what program would work with them? I know I've tried at least one spectrum analyzer program some time ago,. and I could not get it to work -- but many other people had the exact same issue with that program, so it probably wasn't operator error on my side.

Alternatively, what would be a good SDR + SW package for spectrum analysis? (min 5 MHz, though I'd prefer 10 - 20 MHz )

dlritter

Post by dlritter » Sat May 26, 2018 10:46 pm

https://github.com/pavels/spektrum/releases
http://eartoearoak.com/software/rtlsdr-scanner
www.nutsaboutnets.com. If I recall correctly, touchstone free will do an rtl device. Theirs rtl device is called rf-viewer.

aurgathor

Post by aurgathor » Wed May 30, 2018 6:05 am

The last two works OK with my RTL-SDR even if they may have some minor issues. It was pavels' program that I've tried before, and that one did not work, and it is still not working on my system.