Weak reception when in movement!

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
liggths

Weak reception when in movement!

Post by liggths » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:03 pm

hello everyone

Recently, i've mounted a nexus 7 tablet in my car to meet the purpose of a stereo radio. all works fine except the FM radio. I've used a RTL-SDR usb dongle to listen FM radio and i connected it to a the aerial mounted in the roof of the car (fresh new FM antenna), i've applied trough the roof of the car a new extension SMA cable into the front of the car to connect to the dongle. my problem is that, when i are stopped, the reception is not so bad, not too good, but ok to listen, but when i start moving the signal is weaker, in some places are too bad and in others are too good, too much oscillation.

There are any workaround to this problem, can i solved it with a LNA or other thing ?

w5dxp

Re: Weak reception when in movement!

Post by w5dxp » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:06 am

Sounds like "picket fencing", usually caused by multi-path constructive/destructive interference.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:27 am

Might be multipath, but I wonder if it's something simpler like a loose connection that vibrates on and off while moving, or maybe RF noise from the engine / alternator that gets louder when the car revs up. Does the noise show up if you put the car in neutral and rev the engine? Is reception improved if you shut the engine down and leave just the battery on?

liggths

Post by liggths » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Sounds like "picket fencing", usually caused by multi-path constructive/destructive interference.
cam you be more specific, please.
Might be multipath, but I wonder if it's something simpler like a loose connection that vibrates on and off while moving, or maybe RF noise from the engine / alternator that gets louder when the car revs up. Does the noise show up if you put the car in neutral and rev the engine? Is reception improved if you shut the engine down and leave just the battery on?
Loose connection is not the problem, i have all the cables and connections are shown to detect such situations, its possible that can be the noise from the dc/dc step down converter that feeds all the system. I'm going to create a cable discarding the 5v from the converter and power on the dongle from a power bank or similar battery to discard that situation, keeping just the data lines from the usb HUB to the tablet.

later i'll give feedback

w5dxp

Post by w5dxp » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:51 pm

The radiated signal can take any number of different paths to the receiving antenna. Reflections from large buildings are one of the culprits in cities. There's lots of information available on the web.

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/p ... fading.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fading

liggths

Post by liggths » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:32 pm

hello, after some tests

I think you are right about the multi-path issue and I think this is what is happening since outside of the city, for example on motorways this happens less often.
The question now is, how can I correct or minimize this situation ??

Now I am sure it has nothing to do with some noise produced by the step down converter, since I now have the dongle only powered by a second battery, completely isolated from the car.

If anyone can help, I thank

liggths

Post by liggths » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:34 pm

anyone can help with this ???

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:16 am

Multipath isn't easy to solve. Some commercial car radios have multipath reject circuits built in, but i'm not aware of any open source SDR based solution yet.

I was thinking that it might also be interference from other signals (or other FM stations) that occurs when you drive through the city. Sometimes strong ones might poke through the buildings, causing the dongle to desensitize. Have you tested with lower gain settings? Make sure that the Tuner or RTL AGC is off.

aurgathor

Post by aurgathor » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:25 pm

It is most certainly multipath. BTW, my car radio does the same thing in some places.

I think there are some DSP algorithms and other solutions that can correct it, but I don't think you'll find that in free SW, or in an $20 dongle.

Here are some patents on it:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6173166B1/en
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5379449.html

liggths

Post by liggths » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:11 pm

an LNA can improve the signal ??