RTL2832U v3 install problem

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
teslar

RTL2832U v3 install problem

Post by teslar » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi

I have a problem with my device not being detected

The install seems ok I used Zadig and I installed that driver. SDRsharp sees the dongle and seems ok it even shows up when I click the gear wheel. But it doesn’t let me adjust the gain. When I click start and it fails to find the dongle saying. “Can not access RTL device”

The only thing that looks wrong is the red X on the zadig screen next to WCID

Interestingly I set up HDSDR with the ExtIO dll and that works to the dongle seems ok

Any suggestions for getting sdr# working would be appreciated as that’s my preferred software

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: RTL2832U v3 install problem

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:06 pm

Did you follow the instructions at www.rtl-sdr.com/qsg?

It sounds like maybe you didn't run the install-rtlsdr.bat file.

teslar

Post by teslar » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:07 pm

I thanks for responding,

I did run the batch file and I also followed the manual install in-case anything was blocked
I also de-installed all USB drivers and starter again from scratch, however still no luck. Here are screen shots which show that zadig appears to have installed ok, the rrlsdt.dll file is present and I can select the dongle from the drop down, but when I go into setting, there is nothing detected.
Attachments
sdr#2.jpg
sdr#2.jpg (150.91 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
sdr#1.jpg
sdr#1.jpg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
sdr#.jpg
sdr#.jpg (138.47 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

teslar

Post by teslar » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:09 pm

I also ran the test program and it seems to detect the dongle, but then reports no radio found
Attachments
sdr#4.png
sdr#4.png (220.22 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
sdr#3.png
sdr#3.png (39.09 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:02 am

Hmm strange, but it works perfectly normally in HDSDR?

In HDSDR are you running in direct sampling mode (HF reception), or in Quadrature mode (VHF reception)?

teslar

Post by teslar » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:47 am

I've never used HDSDR before so don't know where to check that setting. However I've noticed some other behaviour in SDR#

If I copy the x64 files into the SDR# directory I get the blank (grey) box in the in the configuration screen, but if I copy in the x32 files to the SDR# the directory, the dongle shows up in the top box but the gain slider does not work and both options result in "Cannot access RTL device" after pressing play

I'm using windows 7, 64bit so I expected to use the x64 files but the problem seem to be that driver is faulty, using the x32 files detects the dongle but fails to drive it, that which might be expected behaviour on a 64bit machine so I can understand that

But why would the x64 files refuse to detect the dongle,

Remon

Post by Remon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:23 am

Did you run Zadig as an administrator prior to installing the driver? Rightclick the exe and click "run as administrator".

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:46 am

teslar wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:47 am
I've never used HDSDR before so don't know where to check that setting. However I've noticed some other behaviour in SDR#

If I copy the x64 files into the SDR# directory I get the blank (grey) box in the in the configuration screen, but if I copy in the x32 files to the SDR# the directory, the dongle shows up in the top box but the gain slider does not work and both options result in "Cannot access RTL device" after pressing play

I'm using windows 7, 64bit so I expected to use the x64 files but the problem seem to be that driver is faulty, using the x32 files detects the dongle but fails to drive it, that which might be expected behaviour on a 64bit machine so I can understand that

But why would the x64 files refuse to detect the dongle,
Didn't you mention in the first post that the dongle works perfectly in HDSDR with ExtIO? In the ExtIO settings you can check the sampling mode.

Normally the 32-bit drivers work fine on a 64-bit machine.

teslar

Post by teslar » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Yes it worked in HDSR in as much as I could enter a frequency and hear things. But as I’d never used the program before I didn’t take it any further than checking the dongle wast the problem.

I did instal as administrator

I’ve just ran a registry cleaner and uninstalled all the USB drivers for another fresh install and attempt. Will post results

teslar

Post by teslar » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:44 pm

Nada, zilch, nothing oh well I’ve exahsted everything I know and all the helpful suggestions

I used admin right, I have the necessary DLL files. zadig instals ok. I’ve repeated the set up from Scratch on multiple pcs.
It must be the dongle has died. I tried it on SDR console but get nothing but CW and static. I’ve tried known voice channels but only get static on both HDSDR and SDR Console. I don’t even get that far on SDR#

The first RTL SDR V3 wasn’t even showing as installed and the retailer sent me this one. Now this one briefly gave me faint audio on HDSDR but now I get nothing but static even there.

I’ve either been extremely unlucky or there is a defective batch with early life failure

I guess I’ll have to try for another replacement