Question Regarding SDR Sharp (SDR#)

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
K5KNT

Question Regarding SDR Sharp (SDR#)

Post by K5KNT » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:18 pm

I have SDR# (revision 1347) installed and running on Windows 8.1 with a NooElec R820T2 SDR & DVB-T NESDR Mini 2. I also have the book, "The Hobbyist Guide to the RTL-SDR" and have been following it to install my software and get things set up.

Apparently there has been some changes to the software since the book was published. The sliders on the right hand side are labeled differently now. The image in the book (displayed on location 611 of 6517 on my Kindle Fire HD7) showe three sliders on the right side labeled (top to bottom) Zoom, Contrast, and Speed. The software I have installed has four sliders labeled (top to bottom) Zoom, Contrast, Range and Offset.

I can't figure out what the Range and Offset are doing and I can't find a way to adjust the waterfall speed. I also can't seem to find any help or user manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kent, K5KNT

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Question Regarding SDR Sharp (SDR#)

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi, Thanks for the feedback on the book. I'll make sure to update and clarify those sections in the next update.

The Range and Offset sliders used to be in the left menu, but recently they've been moved to the right.

The Range slider is a control that changes the range of the vertical-axis on the RF spectrum graph. You'll see that as you move the slider up and down the bottom numerical value on the vertical axis will change. It's simply a way to adjust the RF spectrum graph to a position that is most clear. You'll want to adjust it so that the noise floor is near the bottom of the graph, as this will give you the most area on the graph to see signals.

The offset slider does the same thing as the range slider, but with the top value on the RF spectrum vertical axis. There's really no need to adjust the Offset in most cases, just leave that at zero (slid all the way to the bottom).

To adjust the waterfall speed, on the left menu look for the heading FFT Display. In this section there should be a control called Speed. Use that to adjust the spectrum speed.

Let me know if anything isn't clear.