RTL-SDR dongle over Ethernet

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
luc4sss

RTL-SDR dongle over Ethernet

Post by luc4sss » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:30 pm

Ok, first of all sorry for my English, if you are a Mod, you can correct it...

By the way, I've see that many people are asking about a "relocation" of the RTL-SDR dongle...
Like other people, i was got to use the RLD-SDR dongle in a different room than the PC-room, so I've solved in a very cheap way...

If you have a Ethernet cable from your PC and the room with the RTL-SDR, you can use a Linux Embedded Board like Raspberry (but i prefer Orange Pi Zero board due to the very low price, and the good quality) to share the usb connection over Ethernet with https://www.virtualhere.com/home

You have to setup your board (in my case ad OrangePi Zero 256MB) to be connectable in the Ethernet network, and then you have to download and run the VirtualHere Linux Server.
After that, you have to download and run the VirtualHere Client on your machine, and you will have the RTL-SDR dongle virtually connected to your machine!

I've got Linux on my Notebook, and when my OrangePi Zero is not scheduling and receiving some NOAA image, i can connect to it with VirtualHere ad use GQRX for fun...
No problem even with input rate of 3200000, but that can depend of your network quality...

Here an image(blurry) of my work-in-progress box:
Attachments
IMG_20180714_152054.jpg
IMG_20180714_152054.jpg (285.58 KiB) Viewed 1635 times

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: RTL-SDR dongle over Ethernet

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:33 am

Interesting, I wonder how the data usage of virtualhere compares with software like rtl_tcp and/or SpyServer? Which one is more efficient.

Do you notice any latency with virtualhere?

James_from_France

Post by James_from_France » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks for sharing.

With my Wifi network, only the spyservers work. I haven't got enough bandwidth for RTL_TCP or Virtualhere. It was worth a try anyway.
Maybe it could work with LAN over power line ?

Regards,

James

luc4sss

Post by luc4sss » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:19 pm

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:33 am
Interesting, I wonder how the data usage of virtualhere compares with software like rtl_tcp and/or SpyServer? Which one is more efficient.
Do you notice any latency with virtualhere?

I've never used rtl_tcp or SpyServer, but i've see that the average data usage over Ethernet are 5-6 MB/s...
I will try rtl_tcp asap...
I got no latency with VirtualHere...i can also decode NOAA directly from my notebook without any problem...
I've use it for ADS-B, NOAA, FM...without latency, buffering or other problem...

James_from_France wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:06 pm
Thanks for sharing.

With my Wifi network, only the spyservers work. I haven't got enough bandwidth for RTL_TCP or Virtualhere. It was worth a try anyway.

Regards,
James
LAN over power line is not a good solution, but you can try it...
What's the bandwidth of your wifi network between the two devices?
If you use Linux, you can use iperf...

Here a video:
https://youtu.be/_s7tg_Ox0Sg

James_from_France

Post by James_from_France » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:11 pm

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply (I was on holiday).
The router is on the ground floor and the raspberry pi is on the second floor. That's why it's a bit slow...
Why isn't LAN over power line a good solution?
For me, the best solution is to use Spyserver on the raspberry pi as it doesn't need much bandwidth.

Regards,

James

luc4sss

Post by luc4sss » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:32 pm

From my experience, Ethernet over power line got lots of disturb from the various domestic appliances...

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:39 pm

luc4sss wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:32 pm
From my experience, Ethernet over power line got lots of disturb from the various domestic appliances...
The modern ethernet over powerline adapters are quite tolerant appliances, but they do absolutely destroy any HF shortwave reception in the neighboring vicinity.

Username

Post by Username » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:27 pm

its a joke? :o

I will buy some USB over Fiber Box who allow me to transmit the Data without any problem and on the other end the come as usb data.

James_from_France

Post by James_from_France » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:45 am

Username wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:27 pm
its a joke? :o

I will buy some USB over Fiber Box who allow me to transmit the Data without any problem and on the other end the come as usb data.
So what's the solution when you can't easily pull a cable from one floor to another or from one end of the house to another?
My rtl-sdr dongle is connected to my raspberry pi on the second floor, the antenna is just on top in the attic and my router is on the ground floor. I would love to play with all that on the ground floor via rtl_tcp or virtualhere but my WiFi connection isn't fast enough. For me, the only solution that works is the spyserver as is doesn't require much bandwidth.
I can't easily drill holes through the ceilings, and pull an ethernet (or fiber) cable through the kids rooms (on the first floor) to the second floor. ;-).
So what's the solution? Wifi repeaters to get a stronger signal on the second floor?

James.

Username

Post by Username » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:00 pm

So what's the solution when you can't easily pull a cable from one floor to another or from one end of the house to another?
Put an Server where who is Grounded, Shield and Physical Isolated.
My rtl-sdr dongle is connected to my raspberry pi on the second floor
I give it up the Pi2 produce to much noise.
Wifi repeaters to get a stronger signal on the second floor?
A Cable is a Cable. :D
I put the Fiber Cable trout the Floor between the Floors.