New plutosdr has a constant signal and can't receive strong signal that v3 dongle can with the same antenna

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
radiomaniac

New plutosdr has a constant signal and can't receive strong signal that v3 dongle can with the same antenna

Post by radiomaniac » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:00 pm

Hi, I bought a plutosdr, did the software "hack" and then I added the frontend for sdr#.

For some reason setting it at 4MSPS makes the audio sound bad. I have to set it at 3, I don't know if something is wrong with it.
When I try to listen to 118.825Mhz (current airport weather information machine voice) I can barely listen to it with the gain almost maxed out. Rtl-sdr.com v3 dongle can receive it strong. I'm using the same antenna (long 75ohm coax wire)
Also, I see a line in the middle of the waterfall no matter what frequency I input, even with stock little antennas, doesn't matter if it's 0db gain.

I installed the latest drivers and I pretty much don't know what else to do.

I'm new to plutosdr and apparently the thing has a firmware that has to be updated too, I haven't done that. How do I do it, or how do I find out if I have to update it?

Thanks

Edit: I updated the firmware but I still have the same problems

radiomaniac

Re: New plutosdr has a constant signal and can't receive strong signal that v3 dongle can with the same antenna

Post by radiomaniac » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:52 pm

meh, I'm going to return it to mouser. I think it's faulty, and it isn't what I expected, it's actually very hard for me to transmit, so Instead I think I will buy a rx only sdr. Like the airspy r2 and so. I just wanted to "update" my sdr radio from the v3 dongle but pluto is not for me.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: New plutosdr has a constant signal and can't receive strong signal that v3 dongle can with the same antenna

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 pm

The PlutoSDR doesn't work that well above 3MSPS. It supports higher bandwidths, but presumably only via the onboard FPGA which has enough power to process the data.

The middle line is probably just the DC spike.

radiomaniac

Post by radiomaniac » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:36 pm

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 pm
The PlutoSDR doesn't work that well above 3MSPS. It supports higher bandwidths, but presumably only via the onboard FPGA which has enough power to process the data.

The middle line is probably just the DC spike.
Hi, yeah It's definitely that. I'm keeping it. Now I want to transmit something to test out it works, I would like to transmit on 76Mhz just for a test to see if I can receive it with a radio that I have. I have sdrangel but I don't know how to do this. Do you happen to know how to do it?

edit: nevermind, I got it