HF Reception on RTL is low

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
slmaluwa

HF Reception on RTL is low

Post by slmaluwa » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:34 am

hi
I have a Tecsun PL-660 receiver and also http://www.ebay.com/itm/181622551656
I have a longwire antenna with a "100K-50MHz RTL-SDR Supporting long Antenna 9:1 Impedance Transformer Balun BNC" please see http://www.ebay.com/itm/171586523307

I must say I am really disappointed with RTL.SDR on HF (vhf and above is ok). When connected to same antenna and same frequency (NOT at the same time of course), reception is very very low on RTL. Lot of noise / QRN

Is there anyway that I can improve reception in HF range or any other similar product works well with HF range?

TIA

P-40 Warhawk

Re: HF Reception on RTL is low

Post by P-40 Warhawk » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Hi back at you .
The people that sell the type of device that you got from ebay don't tell you that you need a RF amp and preselector witch is needed for the HF part of your device .
The turner is bypassed by a matching transformer . With the turner being bypassed their is no amplification of the RF coming in so the A/D chip can't digitize something it can't read . I am using a MFJ -1020 , it has the RF amp and preselector all in one you can find it on ebay . It is called a active antenna .

slmaluwa

Post by slmaluwa » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:30 pm

P-40 Warhawk wrote:Hi back at you .
The people that sell the type of device that you got from ebay don't tell you that you need a RF amp and preselector witch is needed for the HF part of your device .
The turner is bypassed by a matching transformer . With the turner being bypassed their is no amplification of the RF coming in so the A/D chip can't digitize something it can't read . I am using a MFJ -1020 , it has the RF amp and preselector all in one you can find it on ebay . It is called a active antenna .
Hi Thank you for your input.
This seems to be an internal antenna. I am usually interested DXing. Can I connect my outdoor long-wire to it?

P-40 Warhawk

Post by P-40 Warhawk » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:49 pm

The MFJ 1020-c has a input and a output for external antenna in the back .