Extreme noise at reception

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Zeca

Extreme noise at reception

Post by Zeca » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:31 am

I bought the RTL-SDR V3 Dongle and I am not very satisfied with it. What happens is that there is a lot of noise at the reception. The volume of the noise is extremely high and at the same time it seems that the sensitivity of the receiver is low. I use the software SDRSharp and HDSDR and in either of the two the reception noise is very high. I do not know if the problem is because I do not know how to properly configure the two softwares and their filters or the dongle is in trouble.

The antenna I am using is a dipole antenna for the 11m band (Citizen Band), it is external. In the MW band I capture the 34 local stations, but the audio is not as clean as it should be. In regional and even national broadcasters I tune in at night their signal has a very low intensity compared to the noise.

w5dxp

Re: Extreme noise at reception

Post by w5dxp » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:12 pm

What is your noise level on a CB receiver? What is your noise level on a short wave receiver? What is the source of the noise - local or skywave? Are you in direct sample mode? I was not satisfied with the HF performance in direct sample mode and bought a $50 SpyVerter R2 up-converter with which I am well pleased for HF operation with my V3 and SDR#. There's also the Ham it up V1.3 for $40 and the plus version for $65.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g10iN9ui_A

Here's a DYI you-tube video that shows one how to roll your own up-converter and it is handy for listening to the normal background noise on HF so you can compare it to your background noise. Sometimes people moving down from 2m FM to HF expect the low-noise quality of FM. There's not much FM on HF and anything based on amplitude modulation is naturally very noisy unless the signal is very strong.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Extreme noise at reception

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:44 am

Have you been adjusting the RF gain settings? Make sure it's not on any AGC mode, and just adjust the gain manually until the SNR it optimized.

Also check your modulation mode settings like bandwidth. If you upload a screenshot I can look at them to check.