Tetra radio proximity

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
[email protected]

Tetra radio proximity

Post by [email protected] » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:48 am

Hi

I'm new to the world to rtl sdr but since discovering it a few days ago I'm intrigued

I'm interested in tetra radio waves specifically

I want to be able to create some sort proximity alarm? is it possible and what would I need to do it

In my mind I'd need some software that would look for local tetra signals and as the signal strength got stronger it would make more peeps or something. Is there a software out there?

Regards

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Tetra radio proximity

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:49 am

If you know the TETRA uplink frequencies it's just a matter of monitoring those frequencies for activity, and activating an alarm when the signal strength is over a set threshold. Could probably be done with some basic Python scripting.

Valeriy

Post by Valeriy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:44 pm

I hope not to be too off topic, :) but I have more than one Uniden scanner, and noticed that the Close Call RF Capture technology of the UBC125XLT (European version of the BC125AT) detecs TETRA emissions while some other Unidens never "capture" them...
I often use it as a "TETRA detector" when I'm out and about. :D
A TETRA Close Call Hit sounds like a loud buzz, an alert by itself, yet its buzz can be confused with a DMR Close Call Hit.
The captured freqs usually correspond to one of the sides of the channel, so to speak, but the central freq is easily found once at home just looking at the spectrum analyzer on PC...
I have no experience about the Spectrum Sweeper technology of the Whistler scanners, though.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:01 pm

This is gonna be a fun project to start

SO to start I'm gonna order my rtl sdr today, then I'm gonna start learning about all the software i need to make it happen

Can you guys give me a recommendation about some of the stuff and software I'll need to make this happen

Kind regards