Help withRTL-SDR & SDR# No Device Selected error

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
mlange

Help withRTL-SDR & SDR# No Device Selected error

Post by mlange » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:27 pm

Hey all-
I've searched throughout many threads discussing troubleshooting Win10, SDR# & RTL-SDR installation, but can't get beyond No Device Selected

*I'm using a USB2 port
*USB stick is directly plugged into to pc & always identifies in Device Manager properly as connected
*downloaded all drivers and installed them manually into the SDR# folder, as the batch file won't work
*permissions look good
*I've redownloaded & copied the DLL and ZADIG into the unzipped SDR# folder multiple times

Of note: at one point I *think* I remember seeing "Bulk 0" device and/or a composite device within ZADIG, but that's not 100% - what I have had for quite some time is a single entry entitled RTL2838UHIDIR.

And yes - I've deleted everything and reinstalled everything multiple times & even tried other USB ports....

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated. Good reliable Windows system, otherwise.
mlange SDR RTL errors.jpg
mlange SDR RTL errors.jpg (301.38 KiB) Viewed 739 times

w5dxp

Re: Help withRTL-SDR & SDR# No Device Selected error

Post by w5dxp » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:52 pm

USBview.exe from microsoft helped me solve problems like this.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sy ... View.shtml

w5dxp

Post by w5dxp » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:36 pm

I downloaded usbview.exe from Microsoft in a zipped troubleshooting package that they offer. I have since learned that .exe files should be scanned for malware before use because .exe files are an easy way for malware to be spread. I don't know about the above URL - it may be safe or not. Sorry that I forgot to include this warning in my above posting.

mlange

Post by mlange » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:40 am

Thanks - everything I see so far appears to be correct. Does anyone have any thoughts about the disappearance of the USB0 ? Or, anything else according to the jpg I posted above that includes all my various settings?
Thanks in advance for the help!

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:14 am

Why won't the batch file work? I suspect something wrong with the rtlsdr.dll file. Can you confirm that you have put that file into the SDR# folder? And tell us where you downloaded it from.

mlange

Post by mlange » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:12 pm

Thank you for the reply.

Although the batch file launches, nothing additonal happens. When I viewed the batch file line entrys, the refenced url reported as invalid.

http://osmocom.org/attachments/download ... ebInfo.zip tmp\RelWithDebInfo.zip 404s on any system I have access to here.

I did a google search and downloaded the .zip file (sorry, I don't remember where, off hand).

Then, I went through and did each step of the batch file manually. rtlsdr.dll was copied into the SDR# folder, too.

If there's a specific location for the .zip file you'd like me to download, please share a URL and I'll download it there.

-Mark

mlange

Post by mlange » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:29 am

After copying the DLL from the x64 folder (again), I just tried the RelWithDebInfo\rtl-sdr-release\x32 .... and it DID work with the 32-bit DLL file.

And the RelWithDebInfo.zip file did finally download from the URL in the batch file:
http://osmocom.org/attachments/download ... ebInfo.zip

This is what I was getting ealier at the same address:
mlange SDR RTL errors 3.jpg
mlange SDR RTL errors 3.jpg (107.26 KiB) Viewed 526 times

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:35 am

Ah I guess the Osmocom website went down temporarily just as you were trying to run the batch file. Seems to be fully functional again.

mlange

Post by mlange » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:46 pm

That could be the case - my bad timing :)

As to the current system, while it appears to work, all I'm receiving are local FM broadcasts. My antenna is an 88' dipole (it has a run with 46' of balanced ladder line, into a 1:1 balum, terminated into 50ohm coax that feeds into the RTL-SDR dongle.

Thoughts?

w5dxp

Post by w5dxp » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:55 pm

Your "balum" is designed for HF. It's effect at VHF/UHF is probably unknown. Try direct conversion of HF signals and see if you receive anything. If you have a 2m antenna, try that for 2m reception.