Potting ADS-B LNA

Show off any of your RTL-SDR or cheap SDR related projects.
Hampstershorts

Potting ADS-B LNA

Post by Hampstershorts » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:24 am

I’m wondering if anyone on here has attempted to seal the ADS-B LNA/filter in potting compound to weatherproof it. Does anyone have any experience with any potting compounds for an application like this?

Thanks.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Potting ADS-B LNA

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:29 am

Haven't seen anyone try yet. Some concerns i'd have when choosing the potting material are heat transfer, and making sure the potting compound doesn't degrade and become hydroscopic (this happens to a few potting compounds).

Might be easier to just use a waterproof enclosure instead.

Hampstershorts

Post by Hampstershorts » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:05 pm

I had thought about a waterproof enclosure to be sure. I live on the Canadian prairies and as such we get pretty wild weather swings. I would be concerned about issues such as condensation, as the box wouldn’t be airtight. I’ve heard lots of stories about airtight enclosures being opened and having a lot of water in them. Any suggestions as to how to mitigate condensation? Or would that not be a concern? I live in an area where the temperature could be +35C to -40C. So condensation and frost are real issues.

I’d love any suggestions.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:34 am

Usually to mitigate condensation you don't make the box airtight. You get a waterproof box, and drill a hole in the bottom. Then connect it to a short straw like pipe, or provide an additional non-airtight rain cover.

Also cover the circuit with conformal coating spray to reduce the risk of condensation shorts.