RTL-SDR V.3 isn't working

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
mdescape

RTL-SDR V.3 isn't working

Post by mdescape » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi!
I recently bought a RTL-SDR V.3 with a dipole antenna kit and I haven't been able to make it work in all this days.
The problem I have, has either something to do with a driver witch is not well installed or with one chip of the dongle witch is not functioning.

The first days I was trying to work with the SDR# software in Windows 10, but I was getting the error Cannot acces to RTL device every signle time (image 1). On the internet I couldn't find any usefull information on how to fix this issue. It seems that everyone who had this same error were able to get through it in some way or another, but myself could not. So I decided to try with other software.

I jumped to an Ubuntu 16.04 OS and installed the GQRX SDR softwre, there I was able to hit the Play button without having an error (great!), but rapidly I found out I couldn't rise the LNA gain (so I couldn't rise the input signal strengh for to see any signal).
When the program is executed, you can read this on the Terminal:

No supported tuner found
Enabled direct sampling mode, input 1
IQ DCR samp_rate: 1.024e+06
IQ DCR alpha: 9.76562e-07
Changing NB_RX quad rate: 96000 -> 1.024e+06
New antenna selected:
"RX"
Gain name: "LNA"
min: 0
max: 0
step: 0

So, here is where I'm now more or less... I don't even know what else I can try to make it work and be able to use the dongle :(
Does anyone have an adive for me?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: RTL-SDR V.3 isn't working

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:29 am

Have you been through the quickstart guide at www.rtl-sdr.com/qsg?

If you have maybe the dongle is faulty, contact us at [email protected].

mdescape

Post by mdescape » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:37 pm

Yes, I have.
Thank you! I'll contact you via mail.

nighthawk

Post by nighthawk » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:18 pm

I don't understand why anyone would build a devise so hard to use and does not at all except HDSDR a horrible piece of software .Sdr console v3 or v2 does not work sdrsharp does not recognize the dongle .So what is the point of this dongle .The other dongle i have funcube pro+ works 100%.... stick it in usb port and windows installs drives and works perfect .

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 pm

nighthawk wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:18 pm
I don't understand why anyone would build a devise so hard to use and does not at all except HDSDR a horrible piece of software .Sdr console v3 or v2 does not work sdrsharp does not recognize the dongle .So what is the point of this dongle .The other dongle i have funcube pro+ works 100%.... stick it in usb port and windows installs drives and works perfect .
The RTL-SDR isn't really hard to use, you just need to follow the setup procedure carefully at www.rtl-sdr.com/QSG.

You have to remember that RTL-SDRs didn't start off as SDRs, they are hacked DVB-T dongles, with software developed by volunteers. It's only because of these reasons that we can have such good low cost SDRs.