RTL-SDR v3 direct sampling over a network

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
ljones

RTL-SDR v3 direct sampling over a network

Post by ljones » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Hello all!

First of all a quick summing up of the problem: I cannot get my RTL-SDR v3 stick to use direct sampling over a wireless network. Tuning low (HF) frequencies dosen't work at all (but does work if I do it directly via USB rather than a wifi network).

Here are the devices I'm using:

The first device is a raspberry pi 3 running raspbian. I'm using rtl-sdr to obtain rtl_tcp ( found at https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-blog-v- ... ser-guide/ ) - I'm using the instructions found under the section "Modified rtl_tcp for direct sampling". This compiled fine on the raspberry pine and I'm able to run it without errors at a command, such as:

Code: Select all

$ rtl_tcp -a 192.168.0.139 -D 2 -s 240000
The second machine is a normal x86 machine running debian stretch and GQRX version 2.11.5 . I can tune and listen for FM radio fine but if I try to use HF, I get nothing but static, no signal.

I have GQRX set up with these settings:

- Device=other
- Input rate = 240000
- Device string = rtl_tcp=192.168.0.139:1234

I'm aware that to use direct sampling in GQRX I need to add "rtl=0,direct_samp=2" (without the quotes) to the device string section. However that appears to be only for use with a direct USB device, not network/tcp. If I try to do that as soon as I try to use GQRX I get this error:

Generating taps for new filter   LO:-5000   HI:5000 TW:2000   Taps: 115
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  throttle(53): insufficient connected output ports (1 needed, 0 connected)
Aborted
I'm guessing that rtl=0,direct_samp=2 is only for using USB devices direct (also leaving off rtl=0 does the same thing). But is there some sort of setting I need to use with either rtl_tcp or gqrx to be able to use HF and direct sampling at all ? So far I've drawn a blank I can find plenty of people using gqrx with direct sampling or using rtl_tcp with direct sampling but *not* using them both together!

I should add that if I use the RTL-SDR v3 stick directly on a PC with debian stretch and gqrx I don't have these problems; FM *and* HF work fine with direct sampling. I also have GQRXs' "No limits" enabled in all cases.

Output of code from raspberry pi after running rtl_tcp:

Found 1 device(s):
  0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Enabled direct sampling mode, input 2
Tuned to 100000000 Hz.
Bandwidth set to automatic resulted in 350000 Hz.
listening...
Use the device argument 'rtl_tcp=192.168.0.139:1234' in OsmoSDR (gr-osmosdr) source
to receive samples in GRC and control rtl_tcp parameters (frequency, gain, ...).
Thankies

ljones

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: RTL-SDR v3 direct sampling over a network

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:43 am

When you say it doesn't work, do you mean that GQRX doesn't connect, or that you're just not getting reception?

I believe in GQRX you need to set "no-limits tuning" to be able to tune to the lower frequencies. Can you check if you've ticked that box?

ljones

Post by ljones » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Oopp...sorry about that. Knew I would miss at least one thing off!

Pretty much yes what I was meaning was that I'm just not getting any signal there when I'm using it over a network. I can connect to the RTL-SDR v3 fine with GQRX but lower frequencies just recieve nothing at all.

As an experiment I took a Tecsun AN-200 antenna (it's a MW loop antenna) and connected it to the RTL-SDR stick and then directly connected it to a PC. I did all the required bits and pieces to be brief (rtl=0,direct_samp=2) in GQRX and also made sure "no limits" was enabled. I was able to recieve MW (medium wave) radio relatively well, and I could listen to (I'm from the UK) BBC R5L on 909 and 693 Khz.

If I try to that over a network and with a raspberry pi using rtl_tcp and even if I set -D 2 I get exactly 0% signal, nothing even registers on those frequencies although higher frequencies (such as FM radio) do work. I do have no limits set in GQRX btw (maybe there's something extra I need in rtl_tcp?).

ljones

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:00 pm

I've duplicated your setup with a Pi and V3 dongle using the rtl_tcp -a xxx xxx xxx xx -D 2. I'm listening to the 20M band at the moment and its working...Using SDR #.... I would say to you from looking a previous post that for some reason your using a very low sampling rate of 204Khz instead of 2.4Mhz....and turn off any freq shift setting. Also I'm using the lan....

ljones

Post by ljones » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:26 pm

only reason I was using a lower sample rate is because I'm using wifi and I found if I used anything much more above than what I chose the audio would break up. Is my sampling rate too low and freq shift setting is there one for rtL_tcp? (If it is the same thing there's a second frequency reading in GQRX which I usually leave on 0 Khz as opposed to the actual freq. just above the waterfall).

Update: I gave using the low sample rate along with using USB direct (as opposed to using wifi). I used these settings with the USB (RTL SDR v3) directly connected into the pc running GQRX:

- device string = rtl=0,direct_samp=2
- input rate=240000

Those should duplicate my raspberry pi/rtl_tcp settings. Tried out normal AM radio and it works but only via a direct USB connection.

Still not working with rtl_tcp though x.x ! Can't help but think maybe either GQRX needs to send *something* to rtl_tcp or maybe a setting in rtl_tcp?

Random thought: prehaps -D 2 in rtl_tcp needs to be specified first? (the way the rtl sdr gets *nothing* on the pi with rtl_tcp makes me think maybe direct sampling isn't working....just a thought).

Here's a couple of pics btw with direct usb connection and via rtl_tcp.

ljones

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Ok, so I just fired up gqrx on linux box, and after a little searching the web you now use direct_samp=3
Save the config and relaunch. I'm using gqrx 2.11.5
I'm still on the Lan though but at least the see signals...lots of them today for a change....contesting.
Hope this helps......anything other than 3 ...gqrx blows away.
gqrx_direct.png
gqrx_direct.png (505.91 KiB) Viewed 971 times

ljones

Post by ljones » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Aha!

That seemed to do the trick using direct_samp=3 . I now have BBC R5L working over wifi!

For anyone else who is trying to do this FYI:

On the raspberry pi (in /etc/rc.local) add before the "exit 0" line:

sleep 10
rtl_tcp -a 192.168.0.139 -D 2 -s 215002
And in GQRX v2.11.5 in "Configure I/O devices":
Device=Other
Device String=rtl_tcp=192.168.0.139:1234,direct_samp=3
Input rate=215002
Decimation=None

Note that the "," in the device string 'tween the IP address and direct samp is needed. Omitting the comma would cause GQRX to crash.

Many thanks!

ljones