LNA for stock antennas

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
Jekko

LNA for stock antennas

Post by Jekko » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:46 am

Hi all,
I am an happy user of the rtl-sdr v3, with "stock" dipole antenna (this https://www.rtl-sdr.com/using-our-new-d ... tenna-kit/)

Unfortunately, i live in a city, in the middle of other houses, and i cannot place the antenna on the roof so the best that the antenna can do is quite few.

I hear mostly the 120-160Mhz band. Do you think that if i buy the LNA and i combine it with the stock antenna, i should get some improvement in the recepition?

If it helps, i would buy this LNA: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/product/rtl-sdr ... e-powered/

I am open to all indoor (cheap) solutions. DIY is fine (i am planning to build the planar disc too)
Thank you very much!

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: LNA for stock antennas

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:05 am

Adding an LNA in this situation isn't going to help much at all, and may make things worse.

An LNA helps if you have long coax runs (overcomes the coax loss), and at higher UHF frequencies where the noise figure becomes more important.

You really need to work on the antenna positioning first.

Jekko

Post by Jekko » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:12 pm

Thank you very much for the reply!

Do you think that 88-108 Fm trap could help or is it useless in my case?

JEL

Post by JEL » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:15 pm

Jekko wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:12 pm
Do you think that 88-108 Fm trap could help or is it useless in my case?
That thing you WANT! :)

When I got that myself it made a HUGE difference (improvement)

I wish there were more filters available actually.
BCFM is only 1 annoying band. There are also other digital broadcast-bands that are quite powerful as well as telephones and Tetra-stations.

In short; filtering bands you do NOT want to listen to (especially if they're strong in power at your location) is generally a good idea.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:39 pm

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:05 am
Adding an LNA in this situation isn't going to help much at all, and may make things worse.

An LNA helps if you have long coax runs (overcomes the coax loss), and at higher UHF frequencies where the noise figure becomes more important.

You really need to work on the antenna positioning first.
For the 120 - 160 Mhz band, the BCFM filter could help quite a bit. But it does depend on if you are receiving strong broadcast FM in your area. Tune to the BCFM band and see how strong the signals are. If they are strong (and they are for most locations since the TX power of broadcast FM is quite strong), then the BCFM filter will probably help.