Hotter SDR?

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
Sneff

Hotter SDR?

Post by Sneff » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi all, I'm new here, I got in to this thanks to some videos by the " Thought emporium" on youtube. But thats beside the point I wanted to ask.. I just today got a new I guess you could call it lead? a 10M 50ohm cable that I used to solder a dipole antenna to for picking up NOAA signals and it seems to be workings quite good. I usede one of the guides I fond on here about the 120 deg south facing antennas for doing so.. But I digress, since I started using it this morning It fee;s like my SDR is running hotter than it used to. It's not that big a problem since I can still use it and I had some old heat sinks around that I was able to affix to it. But I was wondering if any one else have had there SDR make more heat when using a longer cable?

Thanks in advance A noob
Sneff

Ps:
it didn't need a heatsink or anything like that But I had one layingh arounf that was just the right size for it and since it was was running warmer than what I was used to before using the ned cable I figured I's add it.
Also I guess I should say what SRD I have. It's a Nooelec Smart. Not sure if that makes any difference.

PPS : The new cable is a 10M cable and I tested the connections for continuity nothing was cross wired, also nothing seemed to be of high resistance.

Ok sorry for the huge post

HighSNR

Re: Hotter SDR?

Post by HighSNR » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:37 am

When I connect an antenna directly(without cable) to my LimeSDRmini the antenna acts as a bit of a heatsink and helps to keep it cool. Still sits at about 50c though. When I use a cable I loose a lot of this effect.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:01 am

Is the SDR simply in a warmer place, or maybe now lying on a carpet/some insulating material?

One other thought is that some RTL2832U chips do have a bit of a fault with their DCDC regulators which can cause them to heat up more than normal, and draw more current. Maybe the USB cable voltage drop is causing issues with a borderline faulty chip.

Sneff

Post by Sneff » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:43 am

It might have been where I moved it. it was near one f the exhaust fans of my computer.