R820T2 dongle faulty connection

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
sog

R820T2 dongle faulty connection

Post by sog » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Frequently my dongle loses all reception as if there was no antenna attached except it shows a kind of wave pattern across the frequencies in sdrsharp. If I jiggle the antenna side of the dongle it comes back, but after a couple seconds to a couple minutes it drops out again even with no movement. Another jiggle and tap and back comes the reception for a little while. I opened it up to look for a faulty solder point but couldn't find anything wrong. Has anyone encountered a problem like this before? I'm using an R820T2

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: R820T2 dongle faulty connection

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:21 pm

Could your antenna connector or any adapters be loose? What connector is used on the dongle you have?

sog

Post by sog » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:44 pm

sorry for the late reply. I've been off the grid for a while. I've recently gotten it back out and as far as I can see there aren't any loose connections. It's definitely a hardware fault somewhere though. I'm going to break out the old electronics kit and delve into it a little more tomorrow, but I'll probably end up just buying a new one when I get back stateside.

The setup I've been trying to get to work is: R820T2 RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO SMA Dongle

I'm trying to have it setup as a remote RX box using a raspi, but it's difficult to stay remote when I have to jiggle it every 30 seconds ot so.

Thanks again for your quick reply and I'll post anything I find out tomorrow on here.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:29 am

Hmm okay that's one of our dongles. Email us at rtlsdrblog_AT_gmail.com if you think there's a problem with the dongle, we can send out a replacement.

What frequencies are you listening to when it drops out?

Aldebaran

Post by Aldebaran » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Hello! Make note that in my case, the SMA female connector from the RTL-SDR dongle is somehow a little bit too long and it's creating a short circuit into the SMA male connector from the antenna. You can use a file to remove half a milimeter of this connector.