RTL-SDR V3 can't get anyt signal below FM band

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
pcsf53

RTL-SDR V3 can't get anyt signal below FM band

Post by pcsf53 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:53 pm

Bear with me, I am new to this.

I bought the RTL-SDR dongle V3 about a year ago. Carefully reading the instructions for HF It will not pick up any signal below the FM band, but it will pick up FM, VHF, UHF.
Am I missing something in the configuration? or did I get a cheap clone?
My computer is running Windows 10.
I would like to use it for a pan adapter for my HF rig.

Thanks for any help.
Paul KA4NGW

Pxl

Re: RTL-SDR V3 can't get anyt signal below FM band

Post by Pxl » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:01 am

First and foremost, Is it rated to go below the FM band ie. <100MHz? If so, is it an antenna related issue?
If you could give a bit more detail on what brand/model sdr you are using as well as software, that would help a ton.

pcsf53

Post by pcsf53 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:20 am

It is the same type sold here on the site Silver case, RTL2832U R820T1+Bias t+HF DVB-T+DAB+FM+SDR V.3

I did not buy from this site. I have installed SDR#, SDConsole V.3 and HDSDR all three work FM up.
My antenna connection can be either a Butternut 6 band HF vertical or MFJ 5 band rotatable dipole up 20FT.
I can buy another/different type but if this will do HF I'll save some $
I guess seeing the HF in the type of dongle makes me think it will work, then again maybe not.

Thanks Pxl

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Do yu have a photo of the dongle?

If it's a genuine V3, for HF you simply need to activate the direct sampling mode in your software. See the info at www.rtl-sdr.com/V3.

pcsf53

Post by pcsf53 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:59 am

Well I just ordered another one, I assume it is probably a other manufacturer dongle.

I can use this one for UHF & VHF

and the one I just bought for below FM,

Thanks to all for there comments and help.

Netchip

Post by Netchip » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi, I have about the same problem. Nothing under the FM band and with signal peaks all down the range. The peaks are even on the FM band without the "Q" selection... Now I tried slowing down the waterfall (to see if the peaks disappear) and turned off my monitor (the only one in the house)... Nothing changes !
I have seen a strange phenomena... When i Put the SDR's volume at 100% the pics disappear , or should i say they rejoin to form a single waveform ?? but still no HF Now if i MUTE the SDR's volume the pics come back ?
I have joined 2 screen copy's N°1 volume (of the STR) at 100% and working, plus N°2 with the volume at 100% but MUTED...

Changing the VOLUME on the PC will also make the pics smaller or greater ??? And they seem to be related , Is the Sound path in the SDR conflicting ???
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (556.26 KiB) Viewed 662 times
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (513.93 KiB) Viewed 662 times
Now I'm using Windows 10 on a GYGABYTE BRICK pc with 2 x 2.0 USB and 1 X 3.1 USB and the V3 is on a 2.0 USB HUB (all alone)
Anyone have any Ideas !! like change SDR or Change PC ???