Chaining 2 KerberosSDR's

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
Docdailey

Re: Chaining 2 KerberosSDR's

Post by Docdailey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:21 pm

how do we enable the noise source via gpio? Can i do it via usb? I am using gnuradio because I am doing beam steering instead of doa. I can use my own noise source but much better to use the internal source.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:34 am

Docdailey wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:21 pm
how do we enable the noise source via gpio? Can i do it via usb? I am using gnuradio because I am doing beam steering instead of doa. I can use my own noise source but much better to use the internal source.
To enable the noise source just call rtlsdr_set_gpio(rtl_rec->dev, 1, 0) in the code. See line 369 in https://github.com/rtlsdrblog/kerbeross ... /rtl_daq.c

Docdailey

Post by Docdailey » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:37 am

so when set to slave the internal clock is disabled correct? I am applying an external clock and want to make sure i am ok to use the ufl for both of my kerberossdr units.

Bill

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:42 am

Docdailey wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:37 am
so when set to slave the internal clock is disabled correct? I am applying an external clock and want to make sure i am ok to use the ufl for both of my kerberossdr units.

Bill
Yep disable in slave, takes clock from clk_in.

g4yar

Post by g4yar » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:41 am

Hello, Is there a way of sharing (or even better - merging) data received by two KerberosSDR units? (i.e. two units DF'ing the same signal and comparing / merging the results?).
Thanks.

ac8dg

Post by ac8dg » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:25 am

g4yar wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:41 am
Hello, Is there a way of sharing (or even better - merging) data received by two KerberosSDR units? (i.e. two units DF'ing the same signal and comparing / merging the results?).
Thanks.
That would be useful to triangulate the doa/DF. similar to the way real time lightning maps pinpoint the signal location

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:19 am

g4yar wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:41 am
Thanks.
You mean like distributing the two units over some distance? Then you could get the results and plot two lines via a network connection.

Or do you mean putting two units next to each other and averaging the results that way for better accuracy? Sure I guess that could work too. Just have to be careful that the two antenna arrays don't interfere and block one another.

g4yar

Post by g4yar » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:24 pm

I was thinking of simply combining the log file results with another unit, so more lines intersect with better angles I.e. driving is shared in 2 locations.
If an internet network type of sharing could be achieved, this would be great and similar to the KiwiSDR system typically used on HF.
When you are far away from a transmitter, it can be quite difficult or time consuming to drive around and get good bearing separation. Sharing data with friends would speed things up as we are considering purchasing another unit.

Anyway, we will continue to test and get used to the current system and look forward yo future developments.

Thanks
Paul