Has anyone managed to get a Raspberry Pi 4 working with an RTL SDR?

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
baroquefan

Re: Has anyone managed to get a Raspberry Pi 4 working with an RTL SDR?

Post by baroquefan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:56 pm

I'm also trying to use my RTL-SDR dongle with a brand new Raspberry Pi 4 w 4 GB of memory. After driver install, the dongle appears to be working fine, giving the normal output for "rtl_test -t". But after several hours of effort, neither gqrx nor CubicSDR will load and run. gqrx seems to expect a previous version of some dependent file. I tried a simple install of CubicSDR that did not work. I then tried the lengthy laborious manual CubicSDR install from the cjcliff github wiki for Linux. Enough errors accrued during the process that CubicSDR does not install properly and won't run.
I have both gqrx and CubicSDR running with the dongle on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ so did not expect any real issues on Pi 4. Any comments or experience with Pi 4 would be most welcome!

baroquefan

Re: Has anyone managed to get a Raspberry Pi 4 working with an RTL SDR?

Post by baroquefan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:36 am

Update to my earlier post: gqrx is now running well with WSJT-X software to decode WSPR (Weak Signal Propagation Reporter)signals. Getting plenty of reports around the US and Canada. I followed the instructions at the kg4zqz.blogspot.com/2019/07/raspberry-pi-portable-panadapter-for.html link posted earlier in this thread. The instructions are a little different than what I was using, and worked pretty well. Although the Pulse Audio is installed, the WSJT-X is using ALSA audio for its input, and signals are heard on the audio jack with ear buds.
The four cores are averaging about 40% loaded per htop command. Processor temperature is 61 C in the CanaKit case with the cooling fan running at 3V (low speed). Following kg4zqz's suggestions in his blog post, the FFT settings in gqrx have been set to reduce processor load. I should be able to use more aggressive FFT size and frame rate since his suggestions are for the Pi 3, and the Pi 4 has plenty of processor load left.
So does anyone have CubicSDR running on a Pi 4 with the rtl-sdr dongle or other input device?