Inconsistent frequency tuning in Windows 10

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
Taarning

Inconsistent frequency tuning in Windows 10

Post by Taarning » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Hi all, hope someone can help me in my search for a solution to my systems odd behaviour.

I've been using my RTL-SDR.com dongle about a month on my old windows 8 laptop, no problems just lots new experiences and discoveries. So last week I decided to move to my stationary Windows 10 (64bit) and after a bit of reading online I got the two Bulk-In interfaces to show up as one RTL2838UHIDR in Zadig.

Now here is the problem
Interdependently of whether I use libusb-win32 or WinUSB drivers or the programs SDR#, HDSDR or SDR-Radio I have this problem.
When I start the initial tuning the frequency is correct and I can easily tune in on the various radio stations, however going to a new area eg. going from 100MHz to 93.9MHz (popular Danish stations) the frequency will be off. Sometimes only by a 0.1~0.2MHz but other times I wont be able to find the channel at all. Trying to go back to the original station that will now also be off, even worse is sometimes scrolling through the channels I can see the same spectrum being repeated although the frequency is reported changed.
If I stop or disable the SDR device and re enable it I will be right at the reported frequency again.

I haven't seen anyone else with this problem, so basically I'm hoping someone has a few good ideas to what to test next, as this problem seems to be independent of programs or drivers I use. Is there some Windows 10 abstraction layer doing something funny?

Initial Tuning at 100MHz (FM Radio is Perfect)
SDR-Radio 100MHz (Start).jpg
SDR-Radio 100MHz (Start).jpg (480.18 KiB) Viewed 618 times

Tuning to 93.9MHz (Frequency is off)
SDR-Radio 93.9MHz (2nd).jpg
SDR-Radio 93.9MHz (2nd).jpg (482.3 KiB) Viewed 618 times

Tuning back to 100MHz (Frequency still off)
SDR-Radio 100MHz (3rd).jpg
SDR-Radio 100MHz (3rd).jpg (489.93 KiB) Viewed 618 times

radiolistener

Re: Inconsistent frequency tuning in Windows 10

Post by radiolistener » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:45 am

it seems like sdr-console bug. This software has interesting, but strange and not comfortable UI and may be buggy drivers.

Try to use HDSDR, it is more stable, much more flexible and has comfortable UI for quick tuning and ether monitoring.

Username

Post by Username » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:23 pm

I use SDR# and it works. :D

SP9JAL

Post by SP9JAL » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi, I have the exact same problem as @Taarning. Did any one find any solution to this? @Taarning, did you? SP9JAL, 73s

radiolistener

Post by radiolistener » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:18 pm

Guys, this problem is due to invalid design of UI interface in the SDR console. This software doesn't provide you with proper LO frequency control. So, you cannot control it. Just use HDSDR, it is much faster, allows to control both LO and tune frequencies and allows to show spectrum with much better frequncy resolution and much faster update. Also it provides you woth much better and flexible control for spectrum. It supports all modulation types and allows to select desired bandpass filter. So, it completely replaces SDR console and will solve your issue