Multiple SDRs same Application?

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Etep15

Multiple SDRs same Application?

Post by Etep15 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:09 am

I have two SDRs plugging into my computer (Mac or PC works, I can do either). I'd like to pull both up in the same SDR client software. I can set them up as either USB or TCP. Which applications can support this? SDRuno the only one (and I'm not sure it can as it may just take in the entire band so you can tune across it)?

The idea is that I want to tune to two different frequencies. For example ATC frequencies. I may want to listen to both the arrivals and tower frequencies. Also, one other key requirement is I don't want to have to scan between frequencies with one SDR. I'd like access to both at the same time.

Welcome any thoughts and suggestions.

alanzfq

Re: Multiple SDRs same Application?

Post by alanzfq » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:58 am

If I understand you correctly you can use two separate instances of the software.
One instance for each dongle.
Selection will be random unless you rename a dongle, possible but I do not have the link right now.
Alan

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:45 am

I believe most SDR programs allow you to open more than one instance. SDR# does for sure, I use it with multiple instances all the time.

Username

Post by Username » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:03 am

You can Copy SDR# in different Folder and run it from there.

Ben321

Post by Ben321 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:05 pm

What you need is a copy of rtlsdr.dll that does NOT just use the first RTL-SDR dongle that it finds, and instead pops up a window that lets you select from a list of RTL-SDR dongles it finds. And then you need to write your own software that supports this added functionality in the special version of rtlsdr.dll (which sadly none seem to exist at the moment, so you will need to write your own copy of rtlsdr.dll as well as your own software, or else modify and compile the existing rtlsdr.dll which I think is an open source piece of code).

alanzfq

Post by alanzfq » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:14 am

I wrote this some time ago. https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradi ... gle#Eeprom I used this with HDSDR.
At the bottom are links to the latest utility written by Joanne.
I guess there are also links and information on this site, most things are covered.
Alan

JEL

Post by JEL » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:02 pm

If the frequencies are within the bandwidth, you might use this plugin: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-sdr-plugin-multiple-vfos/

It can tune several frequencies within the active bandwidth, so it may not be wide enough if the 2 frequencies are too far apart. But it does work when they are close enough.