RTL.SDR Chinese USB Device

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Telegraphist

RTL.SDR Chinese USB Device

Post by Telegraphist » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:09 pm

having a problem with the RTL.SDR device I bought from China which has two inputs ie UV and HF together with a usb cable and antenna. I have down loaded the appropriate software/drivers (see attachments) but when I press the start button I get "cannot access RTL device"

Could someone help me to sort this out soonest as I have been trying to get it to work since 0900 this morning and it is now 00.05 and I am absolutely cream crackered.
Attachments
SDR3.JPG
SDR3.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 1685 times
SDR2.jpg
SDR2.jpg (133.36 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
SDR1.jpg
SDR1.jpg (102.17 KiB) Viewed 1685 times

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: RTL.SDR Chinese USB Device

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:33 am

Did you go through our guide at www.rtl-sdr.com/QSG?

If you went through it and all the troubleshooting section, then it's probably faulty. Those boxes seem to have a very high fault rate from what i've seen.

alanzfq

Post by alanzfq » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:48 am

Did you use Zadig?
Alan

Telegraphist

Post by Telegraphist » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:20 pm

Yes I did everything per the book including looking at www.rtl-sdr.com/QSG and going through instructions from 3 to 10 and still every time I press play it says cannot access RTL Device.
However, If I go into my device manager with the device plugged in it shows up under Universal Serial Bus Device as "RTL283UHIDR" and I have reinstalled the driver a couple of times.

The photo attached with the antenna and usb cable is the device I bought from eBay (ex China) and perhaps you might be right it could be faulty but why is it not showing in device manager when it is not connected to the PC via the usb cable but as soon as I plug it in it is recognised in Device Manager?
Any thoughts on the subject Please?.
Attachments
RTL.SDR From China.jpg
RTL.SDR From China.jpg (87.69 KiB) Viewed 1626 times

Telegraphist

Post by Telegraphist » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:55 pm

Yes I did Alan

But on another note is it possible for someone to down load team viewer (it’s free) and then they could access my computer and check remotely if I Have done it right?

Telegraphist

Post by Telegraphist » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:27 pm

Hi rtlsdrblog

Yeah I guess it could be faulty, but you never queried the bit about me saying the device is definitely recognised in device manager, perhaps you would give me your thoughts on that? Also on another note is there anyone at rtl-sdr.com who could down load teamvewier (free download) and then the can remotely go to my computer and see if I am or the software are doing its job right and perhaps download the software again.

Thank you in anticipation

bowler1956

Post by bowler1956 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:43 pm

Not sure if my dongle/kit is Chinese, I bought it from the RTL-SDR.com website RTL-SDR Blog R820T2 RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO SMA Software Defined Radio with Dipole Antenna Kit, just got it today 8/21/19

I have the same error that the person above has (cannot access RTL device )

I did run the install-rtlsdr.bat and followed the startup guide. When I initially set this up everything seemed ok, then I removed the dongle for some reason (most likely to use another USB device)and when I reinserted the dongle in the same USB port that's when I got this error. I did re-run the bat file but that didn't help. When in step 10. loading the driver, I know see the following in both boxes. "WinUSB (v 6.1.7600.16385) RTL2832UUSB) on the left and right sides(see photo)is this normal?

how do I insert an image of the errors?

P.S. My dongle also gets very hot, is this normal?

Is there anyway to uninstall and start again?
Please advise.

Username

Post by Username » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:54 pm

I did run the install-rtlsdr.bat
since the ignore the proxy and dont show any error it will not work.
Download the File Manually and Put it into the Folder.

Telegraphist

Post by Telegraphist » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:35 pm

Well I finally got it to recognise the RTL and that was done by changing the USB cable obviously the one that came with the kit was faulty. Anyway I started to play with it and I am actually listening to Radio 2 but I have lost the screen as per the attachment. Can any help me please?????
Attachments
NO SCREEN.jpg
NO SCREEN.jpg (75.51 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

Username

Post by Username » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:06 pm

:shock: something look weired. Does the Dongle appear in the Settings?
What is connect to the Dongle?