ebay sellers beware!

Talk about anything else here.
Kenn

ebay sellers beware!

Post by Kenn » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:58 am

Effective August 1st 2019 ebay has activated a new automated returns system. Buyers can initiate a return for any reason they choose and ebay automatically prints them a return shipping label at the sellers expense. Once returned, the seller has 2 days to refund the buyer or ebay will happily perform that task for you.

Fortunately the seller gets their ebay & paypal fees back, but you're out shipping both ways. And you're really relying on the buyers honesty to return the item in one piece. So far I've been lucky in that regard.

Shady buyers (and sellers) are nothing new on fleabay, but the new policy makes it too easy. No communication with seller is required. I'm not the only seller who's seen a ridiculous increase in frivilous returns.

I think the risk is now too great for anything of real value or weight. With shipping costs going up and many states charging sales tax, perhaps there will be a revival in good old fashioned in-person inspect & cash deals. Like hamfests or local classifieds.

-Ken

Ronoole

Re: ebay sellers beware!

Post by Ronoole » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:28 am

Some buyers are really not honest. My friends lately was selling property in Athens https://tranio.com/greece/attica/athens/ and put lots of used furniture of a really quality on ebay. Couple of people returned their purchases just because it wasn't new when in the description it was written clear.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: ebay sellers beware!

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:49 am

Yeah there are many scammer buyers out there, but just like with Amazon you need to factor in the larger than usual amount of scams into the cost of business, just like a chain store does with shoplifting. In a perfect world there wouldn't be any losses, and prices would be cheaper for everyone as a result.