New rtl-sdr v3 driver Nightmare Dongle works great

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
steveblade

New rtl-sdr v3 driver Nightmare Dongle works great

Post by steveblade » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:37 pm

Im having a terrible time trying to get my v3 dongle working on my home PC. Ive tried on another sytsem and got it going in 5 mins flat following the quick start guide so the dongle is fine and im very eager to have it working at home.

When I start sdrsharp it just will not see the device when I try to configure the source. no matter what. Ive also tried other SDR sofware, still no divice present is the issue.
Tried different usb ports, removed drivers multiple times and reinstalled with zadiag,

Had it show as bulk interface 0, drivers installed ok but doesnt work.
Also it reported as a parent composite device at other attempts, drivers installed fine, still doesnt work.

Bearing in mind ive gone through the proccess on another machine and Im confident ive covered all the obvious possibilties. Im at about install attempt 15 now :(

Someone must have a clue what the issue is.
Using an AMD FX8350 with Asus sabbertooth990fx r.3 mobo
Any hlep would be very welcome folks.

qrp

Re: New rtl-sdr v3 driver Nightmare Dongle works great

Post by qrp » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:24 am

if you're using a new motherboard with USB3, try to use this ExtIO:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4710&sid=92151e8f03 ... =20#p11796

It contains rtlsdr.dll with more fresh version which supports USB3 controllers. It is developed for HDSDR, but you can try to place rtlsdr.dll into SDR# folder and try.

steveblade

Re: New rtl-sdr v3 driver Nightmare Dongle works great

Post by steveblade » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:48 am

Thanks QRP, I will look at this tonight. Im 100% sure its a USB issue as Ive had it working on on the home PC now. The MOBO does have USB3 controllers, infact it has a few controllers. It picked up the device last night after I tried almost every port on the thing, one is not reserved but has the extra function of being the only one intented to flash new bios to the MOBO and that port did work.

Ill report back after ive investigated custom ExtIO for RTLSDR. Especially if it cures or improves the USB issue.

Ps folks, buy one you wont regret it, im impressed with the results so far, cant wait to get a dedicated antenna or two setup for this. 73 s all